Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently did this swap, and, the power gain is simple awesome! it also sounds incredible, Nice raspy sound at the top end.

Anyways, No pics, as ive already completed this swap, so, ill try my best to explain what needs to be done.

Firstly, grab a nice set of Dual Carbs, make sure all components move and work well, its worth using a Full can of carb cleaner on both carbs.

First, remove the Shite single carb, and, throw it away, you'll never want it again! EVER! Now, line up the dual carbs, and bolt them on. on my D13 Engine, there were 2 studs on the way, if there in the way, just remove them, you wont need them.

After the carbs are bolted on, most of the old pipes and lines will just fit on with no modifications needed.

the old Single carb choke cable CAN be used, its a VERY tight fit, but, you can use it, i used an old 1 Liter nova choke cable holdster, which held it in the perfect place, operation is smooth, alls good.

the brake server pipe will fit, just remove the last bracket on the firewall, and just simple attach it to the top pipe on the carbs.

the water return will need modificcation to fit, mine was well to short, so again, we got an old peice of water pipe off a 1 Liter nova, and connected the two hoses with a bit of plastic pipe in between them, and a few Jubilee Clips. Or, the simple way, grab the water return pipe off the Doner car the carbs are off, much simpler!

The Thottle cable fits perfect, no modifications needed there, although the clips that hold it to the rocker will need flipping to secure it.

Fuel Pipe will fit, no mods needed, you can shorted it if you really wanted, i havnt bothered, it doesnt really affect performance either way really.

the thing that puzzled me with this swap, was the solenoids, the D13 had a plug for 1, not 2, so, thing to do, is take the solenoid out the single carb, cut the plug off and wire it to the left solenoid on the dual carbs, then, cut and slice the plug wire, and wire the second solenoid to that wire, youll also need to give the second solenoid a real good earth, ive bolted mine strait to the rocker top.

Now, youll need a D14 Dizzy and 2 Vac lines, the dizzy is a strait swap, nothing needed, apart from careful hands, not to disturb the timing (Like me, cause im a numpty!) All that needs doing now is the vac lines, im not sure which way they go, If it spits at you when revving it quite high, there the wrong way round!

Then thats it, it should run first turn of the key, the only thing that needs changing is the Fuel/Air mixture screw needs turning back about a quarter turn, although, my setup is still using the D14 specs, running a tad rich!
Just thought id post this little write up on the site, its from 4guk.co.uk by gizmo, theres a few people talking about doing carb swaps and this was very handy when i did mine

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i swapped the dizzy basically because when i got the car it wasnt running properly and the only other dizzy i had was from the d14 as i was breaking 2 of them at the time basically just trying to narrow down the problems .
Turned out honda had put the wrong water pump on it and the cam belt had jumped and never bothered to swap the dizzys back, there the same dizzy just different connecters so it doesnt make any differnce at all so you dont need it for the swap

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only parts you need are the carbs, airbox,vacum pipes attached to the carbs,intake manifold and rubbers, choke cable is a must otherwise you deffinatly wont get it to start on the winter mornings and preferably the bracket from the carbs to the block otherwise the rubbers that hold the carbs to the manifold split.
The only problem i had was the wiring, if you dont get it right one of the carbs will not put any fuel in at all

·
Registered
822 Posts
right, well got to wait to get the bits of Adrian and then i can see what i need.

if anything goes wrong, i'll let you know, but lets just hope not lol

·
Registered
822 Posts
ash d-series said:
the thing that puzzled me with this swap, was the solenoids, the D13 had a plug for 1, not 2, so, thing to do, is take the solenoid out the single carb, cut the plug off and wire it to the left solenoid on the dual carbs, then, cut and slice the plug wire, and wire the second solenoid to that wire, youll also need to give the second solenoid a real good earth, ive bolted mine strait to the rocker top.
it says cut and slice the plug wire...
when adrian did that edit to show me how to wire mine it didnt show anything about cutting a slicing the the wire to the solenoids, so im really confused now,
so you only wire up the positive plug wire to both solenoids and earth the black wire to rocker cover? then what do i do with the white with blue stripe wire from the plug?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thats exactly where i am. Got the positive wire going to both solenoids (the yellow one). The black one earthed to the rocker cover. Not sure with the blue/white 1. Played about putting it in different places etc and still no difference.. Mine wont stay running on its own, you need to keep revin it to keep it above 1k or else it cuts out. Is this how yours is running now elid?

·
Registered
822 Posts
exactly the same lew, are your cylinders 1&2 not working? does the car rumble like its a V8? i have been on this problem for the last few days, and i really cannot figure out what the problem. i tell you what, i feel comforted that im not the only one, but i dont want to be in this situation, ash does know his stuff about this, but there is only so much he can say over the forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yup same. I still havent changed the spark plugs, but doubt thats guna change much? I dont want to be in this situation either, i need my car back on the road! We just need conformation on how the wiring needs to be done because im really not sure. Whatever way round i change the wiring doesnt seem to effect how it runs at all..?

·
Registered
822 Posts
yeah the spark plugs change didn't help much.

make sure you have the vacuum piping correct, the first diagram on this page will help http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/medi ... 01/6-4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and mines off the road too, and parents area always having a go at me. So it must be a wiring problem if were both in the same situation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh right. Yeah ive been through that diagram and everything seems to be connected right.
Yeah it has to be. Who else has completed this swap? We need to know exactly how to wire up the solenoids corectly. I dont see what else it could be seeing as were both in the same boat

·
Registered
822 Posts
yeah, adrian on the forum has done it aswell, well, he brought it done from ash, ash seems to know the most about it.

http://[email protected]" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that forum has a lot of people who have done the swap, the guy gizmo who wrote this up which ash got for us did it.
also, what have you done with the charcoal canister?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ahh i see. I will have to register then. Ive just blocked off both the pipes that come off the charcoal canister. Hows your wiring connected? I really want to get this sorted now. We need ash to try and explain the wiring step by step lol. And then if that dont solve are problems... God knows?

·
Registered
822 Posts
yeah i just blocked mine off aswell,
and the wiring i literally just connected them like you would with a sound system part, just get the two wires and connect them.
i have the yellow one connected to two extra pieces of wiring which connect to the solenoids, and then the black as earth, and the white with blue earthed up, didn't make a difference from when it was just left hanging.

if what he says doesnt work then im just worried to take it to the mechanics, as i really doubt they will know what to do, not many people around me who know much about the 1.3 engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah mines wired up exactly the same, Maybe its something to do with our actuall connections. I agrre about the mechanics, they aint gunna know anymore than us. Ive just found this on 4guk about wiring twin carbs..

you will have to earth and connect the second solenoid to the first solenoid, as the DX's have one 1 cable for 1 solenoid, so youll have to splice and connect the corresponding wires, I cant get my head round that.. You?

·
Registered
822 Posts
i understand that.......not! lol

bloody hell, really need someone to explain it properly, its too hard with words, need a picture or a diagram or something visual.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts