Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any experiance with diy tints?

saw some on ebay and im pretty confidant i could do it with no bubbles...

·
Registered
679 Posts
im sure a garage will do it for you mate, just give the mechanic some beer money, dont know many that would turn it down

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx guyz havn't bought them just wanted to know if any one has bought them before to ask the actual quality of them after all i cant see proffessional tints being that expensive for the companies to buy

and the cling film's a good shout though not really the same, the tints have a peel off backing to do small sections and work down/up where as cling film sticks everywhere

found this, it makes it look soooooo easy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akUrp06ZBtA

·
Registered
131 Posts
lol..yeah it looks easy but it aint,tried few times and failled big time... its not worth it unless you have a heat gun,,, just get it done by someone else.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
i used to work in a sign making place so was always working with vinyl, its alot harder working on transparent materials like glass etc as you cannot simple burst any bubbles as they will show up badly, if your gonna try it yourself atleast watch a few vids on youtube for a bit of advice and like nicky said try it with clingfilm or something first as you garaunteed to fuck it up in your first few times

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well for the cost i think i will give it a bash, if i mess it up i can always peel it off... well i hope i can just peel it off

and if i do a good job i'll do yours for a tenner :p

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Broxybear said:
well for the cost i think i will give it a bash, if i mess it up i can always peel it off... well i hope i can just peel it off

and if i do a good job i'll do yours for a tenner :p
wish you luck with it, get your final result up!

ps. tints are a bastard to get off,

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im thinking of getting a black sunstrip for the front so that could be a it of practice ;)

and if it's a bastard to get off then she can do that job :p

·
Registered
131 Posts
getting it off is not too mutch of a problem,,, ( vinegar and water along with a stenley blade ) there is a thread in here somewhere on how to get the basterds off. just looked into tinting last night ir moastly depends of the tints its self,, dont buy cheap made in china stuff,,, aperantly "savage tints @ halfords ar shait" the best tints ar made in america as they are thinneer and easier to apply,

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanx , i'll probs have a bash at it next weekend weather permitting unless i can use a friends garage...

im quite worried though if i get them too black it might make my very very dark purple car stand out as a black imposter lol

·
Registered
711 Posts
I tried it on my old Civic, only got a few bubbles, took an age to do though.

Then I took it to a professional to do the rear screen cos that failed epically.

and in future I'd take it to a pro lol

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
iv done the rear side glass on my mini before took them out the car to do in the house though in that 50/50 blue mirror to dark blue tint stuff a few bubbles but went on pretty smart for a DIY jobby i wouldn't attempt to do a rear screen again though i just couldn't do the rear 1 propperly and thats the 1 every 1 see's the most..

·
Registered
49 Posts
My friend and I had a whirl doing DIY tints on his Accord when I was in NZ. He bought pre-cuts from the ebay equivalent over there...with the both of us (and I would like to add, all of the right equipment which he borrowed from a pro, his friend) plus the advice his friend gave us...it still took all day i'd say good 6 to 8 hours to get it perfect and i think we had to stop and finish the rear windscreen the next day!? The main problem we had was the spray we applied to lube the film into place kept drying out on the glass in the sun - fat chance of that happening here mind!? lol Its was perfect when we finished and looked good, but after a couple of weeks tiny bubbles would show and the film started to pull away when moving the windows up and down.

I'd say its good as a quick fix, cheap and if you've got time, but don't expect them to last long. In future when i get round to mine i'll save up and have it done properly :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
I've had a few cars and had them all tinted professionally, I'll give most things a go myself from engine work to fibre glassing and achieve a decent level of workmanship but tints are something I'll never do myself unless I remove the window. Even then considering the cost of good quality material and the time it would take me I'd still take it to a professional. The main reason is you have come back if it develops bubbles/peals/fades etc, do it yourself and you're gonna have to fix it yourself.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts