Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.4 inspire s that is making a creaking noise occasionally when I pull away or when I am accelerating.

The creak occurs typically when I am doing below 3000 rpm. The creaking noise is not constant and happens infrequently. Occasionally, I feel the creak on the steering wheel. There is no creaking noise when I am not in gear.

The vehicle has done 60,000 miles.

I have taken the car to the Honda dealer and they did not hear the creaking and did not seem to have heard of the problem before.

I have read some reports on this web site stating that this model of car has problems with the gear box. Do you think the creaking nose is the gear box or is this just due to the age of the vehicle?

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
that could be a few things ,
obviously first check the wheel nuts are all tight,
then the drive shaft nut on the hub
it could also be some thing on wishbone bushes creeking
does it stop in the wet and come back in the dry?
problem is we will all be guessing as not actually hearing the noise its hard to make an accurate diagnosis,

good luck with it :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In response to Paul's check list,

first check the wheel nuts are all tight, the wheel nuts are tight.

then the drive shaft nut on the hub the drive shaft nut on the hub is OK.

it could also be some thing on whishbone bushes creeking. I am not sure how to check this.
does it stop in the wet and come back in the dry? The creaking noise tends to occur when the car is dry or if I have been driving for a wile.

The steering column seem to be well lubricated (inside the foot well).

The creak tends to be worst when I am hill starting or in 1st and 2nd gear.

The creak is only heard in the interior.

The creak sounds and feels like (on the steering wheel) something is tightening.

The creak only occurs when I am accelerating or when i have just eased of the accelerator.

The creak has become louder with time.

When inspecting the point where the drive shaft casing meets the wheel i noticed that the drive shaft was corroded near to the rubber casing (paint flaking off and rust).

·
Registered
780 Posts
humm tricky!!

paint flaking of the drive shaft is nothing new and wont cause any harm.

to check the wishbone bushes jack the car up, look for the triangular shapped part that connects teh bottom of the wheel hub to the chassis, the bushes will be arround the two bolts that hold this end of the wishbone to the chassis, look at the quality of these bushes, if they are all flakey and faulling appart it could well be these. if they look ok then they should be ok.

have you had your tracking looked at? the tie rod ends (connecting the steering rack to the hubs) mite be worn, but this tends to show all the time when driving.

does it ahppen when manouvering/conering?

·
Registered
7 Posts
sounds like the steering rack needs a bit of lube mate. these shape civics can suffer from this (well i know the type R's do)

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have the exact same problem with what has been deescribed and im going mad trying to fihure out what it is. if you find the problem before i do post up what it was please

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have civic 1,6 2003 and have the same problem. The noise coming somewhere from the steering column is horible. They tried to lubricate properly everything in service, it helped but just for half of year and now the sound is back. It usually appears at dry weather when driving and slowly moving steering wheel left and right. I can even feel slight resistance comming into my hands. So did anybody found how to fix it forever?? Please help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same problem on my ep1, occurs when im reversing out of my car park mostly, it only happens at low speeds while turning slightly though, ill check with honda on saturday

Edit:

Checked with honda and they said they will need a few hours to check the suspension out, which will cost about £150..........but he said its nothing to worry about so ill keep the money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem with my 2002 Civic. Car has just been for its MOT and I asked the garage to find the cause of the creaking noise. They could hear the noise, the car passed its MOT, but they could not see what what causing the noise. But said they had checked it was nothing loose or about to drop off, so I don't need to worry about it.

When the weather gets better I will checkout the suggestions made in this forum (but I note nobody has yet come back and said they have found the answer ....... :-(

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's a common problem on the ep3's. I've been lucky enough and my creaking has disappeared on it's own which normally it should do, but does come back now and then for a day or two. It's something to do with the steering column deep behind the dash nearer the bonnet. Nothing to worry about. It's one of those sounds you have to try to like as it's gunno stay lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Civic has been suffering from this for a few years. I've finally pushed the dealer into investigating deeper after years of mentioning it at every service and getting no-where. There is a service bulletin which describes the issue (creaking particularly when the car is accelerating or braking) as being a bolt on the rack which needs resetting to 25NM torque. The dealer is ordering the special tool needed, so we shall see. If it works, I'll ask for a copy of the bulletin and post up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did indicate I'd post up a copy of the bulletin. The dealer gave me the first page, but it is enough to explain the issue. Bizarrely the work done by the dealer re-torquing the rack wasn't the correct thing to do, grease the bracket was. As the car stands in the garage for months on end, I haven't taken it back but will get it sorted at the next service. Hope this helps someone.

[attachment=0:2q8cuzem]honda steering bulletin0001.pdf[/attachment:2q8cuzem]

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I appreciate the bulletin. I have a 03 reg with 92,000 miles making this same creaking noise when starting off, particularly uphill. It is progressively getting worse and I'm taking it into the garage with this bulletin to get it sorted.

·
Registered
130 Posts
We also have this creak, it's very annoying. What's the best way to access this bracket and what grease should be used on it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have exactly the same problem and have been searching for a solution for over a year. The 'noise' desciptions here are spot on
johnearnshaw said:
In response to Paul's check list,
first check the wheel nuts are all tight, the wheel nuts are tight.
then the drive shaft nut on the hub the drive shaft nut on the hub is OK.
it could also be some thing on whishbone bushes creeking. I am not sure how to check this.
does it stop in the wet and come back in the dry? The creaking noise tends to occur when the car is dry or if I have been driving for a wile.

The steering column seem to be well lubricated (inside the foot well).
The creak tends to be worst when I am hill starting or in 1st and 2nd gear.
The creak is only heard in the interior.
The creak sounds and feels like (on the steering wheel) something is tightening.
The creak only occurs when I am accelerating or when i have just eased of the accelerator.
The creak has become louder with time.
When inspecting the point where the drive shaft casing meets the wheel i noticed that the drive shaft was corroded near to the rubber casing (paint flaking off and rust).
...I could add that over the summer, the noise disappeared. It is now back and possibly more apparent.

Can I assume that the problem - and solution - relates to lubrication of the steering rack?
Thanks for everybody's input - it seems that at last I am getting somewhere !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts