Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard is it to fit them? can do the usual stuff like brakes, exhausts and anything with a spanner. is it difficult?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will i need clamps for the springs if im putting coilovers on?

ive got a ek4 vti will i need this tool?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
You will need spring compressors unless the coilovers you buy come pre-fitted with the top hats (thanks Edd). If you don't have it, just get it done at a garage.

If you can do the "usual" stuff like fit an entire exhaust system, I'm sure you won't have a problem :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just want to do it myself learn something new and help mates if they ever get them. where could i get spring compressors from of is there anything else you can use? it has 40mm lowering springs atm will there be any compression in them ?

Edit:

what tool is it i need for the lca nickyboy? cheers

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
adeeek4 said:
where could i get spring compressors from of is there anything else you can use?
No. Compressing springs is dangerous enough as it is. People die from using crude methods to compress springs. They are under a huge amount of pressure, so don't try it.

Unless you think you're cool like this guy:
[youtube:zcobjrxa]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYFOI_UsVxI[/youtube:zcobjrxa]

If they come with top hats, then yes no problem you won't have to worry about spring compressors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
you might get some problems with siezed bolts in you lca's, i had to burn mine out on my EK,
1 bolt sheared, and I had to grind a couple out too :( no luck

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Yeah seized bolts are a bit of a problem I had 1 on mine that I had to buy a new bush for. I would recomend fitting new bushes anyway it will make a difference.

You can buy some spring compressers pretty cheap from an auto parts store. Only about 20 quid or something thats what I did when I had to put my tophats onto my coilovers.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
adeeek4 said:
yeh he says the come with the top mounts
Comes with the top mounts or comes with the top mounts already fitted to the coilovers? Not to be pedantic, but it's important to find out exactly what he means.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Alright, sounds like a good project then. I fitted mine (Edd provided them with top hats). Took ages, but only because I had to jack each wheel up individually on my gravel drive way. If you have access to a lift, and if the bolts aren't seized, it shouldn't take too long.

·
Registered
188 Posts
ul be fine mate, took me just under 6 odd hours to do mine by myself, only cause like mnetioned b4 seiszed bolts.

was totaly fine up front, then on the rear, right side was fine, left side the main one witht he shock was seized haha, so had to wait for dad to get home from work to go BnQ to get some decent drill bits to then drill the bolt out haha.

Nuno. also u may aswell get some spring compressors only cost £20.50 from halfords mate. ul always use them, and just good tool to have.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts