Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, noticed a clonking noise around middle of engine bay near all steering bits when I drive. When you turn left or right and even in a straight line. Like something is banging or loose? Not had time to take it garage yet but jacked it up other cy and no play in wheels and a friend thinks it's something with steering rack like a worn bearing? Now I'm no mechanic so was wondering if anyone has a idea what cud be n what to brave my self for regarding repairs.
I don't trust most garages round my area they always seem to give it that gasp when ever you mention you've heard a strange noise. Cherz

·
Registered
184 Posts
exhaust mine does it! so did my brothers till he got a new one im a cheap skate and i just turn my radio up lol.
But mine knocks when i start it move left or right sounds like my wheel bearings but its the exhaust somethink to do with the jounts (welding) Well hope this helps (it maybe somethink else as im no mech but my dad and brother are!) exhaust from honda for me will cost £65 not fited

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cherz for reply, I did check that and it's really secure it's some where at front, as first thought was drive shaft with it been like a knocking noise but no play in wheel and I think it's something towards steering like a worn bearing. I tried the music approach and but can feel it when rest ya foot at side of clutch.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Same my exhaust is on solid no play its the joints on mine i thought it was the drive shaft as well but my dad checked it put it up on the ramp and could'nt find anythink wrong with the bearing or shaft. I can feel it through the same place as you.Do you get it when changing gears some times? If so i would say exhaust as mine does it when gear changing as well (sometimes) Well im changing mine next week so i'll let you know if the knocking goes. Where bouts you from?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
from Rotherham man, I haven't noticed anything with gear changes yet but Its deff somethng I could of overlooked I jus wish these things would be easier to figure out as all they do is blag ya head and tend to cost a fortune. Is it jus a sectionof exhaust u changed or whole lot and had it eliminated the annoying clonk.i nearly threw my m8 out of car other day he was saying "put a clonk onit" how much would new exhaust for a type R cost jus have a feeling it more than £60 if not that's a bargain

·
Registered
184 Posts
I put i picture up to show where its knocking on mine.
If i was you i would see if it is the exhaust as it still maybe somthink esle ( you never know ) My brothers car stoped knocking after. My car is still waiting for my dad to put it on!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was a battered drop link in end. Some little pathetic looking piece of nobbly metal n was supposed to be £50 but got it for £25. Still slighlty knocking but greatly improved now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts