Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1985 Honda Civic Si (3-door) which was originally sold in Japan, imported as a used car to NZ. I haven't managed to identify this car with any model sold in the US, but maybe it was sold in Europe. It has a DOHC 1.6L PGM-FI engine, which I believe is designated ZC. I'm trying to track down the reason why it is not running well (misfiring at wide throttle), and I've noticed that the ECU light is flashing (5 flashes). This might have been triggered by something I've done while trying things out, so my first task is to reset it, so I can see if it is a real fault. The fuse box (under the dashboard on the right in this car) has two fuses labelled ECU. I'm wondering if the multi-step procedure detailed here is the right way to rest the ECU, in which case I guess I need to remove both fuses.

Assuming that the ECU error condition is still showing after resetting it, I need to know what the 5 flashes mean. I've seen elsewhere the info that 5 corresponds to a MAP sensor problem on some Hondas. Can I be sure that this will apply to my model? If so I just need to locate the MAP sensor. Things are difficult when you don't have a manual. The Honda UK site has the Civic manuals, but according to that site there was no 1.6L Civic in 1985. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Gib

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Hi Gib, welcome to the forum.

First off, yes my article How To Reset Your ECU is the best way to do it. In this case I would either take out both fuses (which won't harm anything but which might reset something you don't want reset, or follow this:

How To Reset Your ECU said:
Q: I can't find my ECU fuse
A: In this case, do not just pull out any old fuse. Instead disconnect your battery at Step 3, and re-connect it at Step 4.
Leave the fuses and just do the battery route if you wish. It will achieve the same result.

About the ECU error codes, I would take it to a good garage to have the codes analysed. You can't read them properly without the correct tools.

·
Registered
332 Posts
what type of flashes are the 5 error flashes you are recieving? long flsahes or short? tell me and i will tell you whats up!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, I solved my problem. (It was 5 short flashes) Stupidly, I had left off a rubber hose at the back of the TB. The original cause of all the problems turned out to be corrosion blocking the pipe to the FITV (I suspect too much water in the coolant + sitting for a year). Now I've cleaned out the FITV and everything else in sight, readjusted the idle and it's purring like a pussycat. Thanks for help and offers of help.

I really like this car!

Gib

1 - 4 of 4 Posts