Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 plate (i think, not entirely sure cos it's a private plate on it) is simply going through tyres like nobody's business,
one set we got about 10,000 miles from them, bridgestones, so not a cheap rubbish tyre, now it needs another set after just 5,000.

this is utterly ridiculous as i'm sure you'll all agree,
any suggestions for things to check, anything prone etc

there is a noise also, but it's very difficult to describe, as soon as we can conjour up the words we'll pass them on. seems to be comming from all four corners, but dosn't seem to be an obvious typical tyre noise, because it's not specific to one road surface, it does it all the time, and more noticable at speed.

any info / suggestions is much appreciated. anything's better than nothing after-all

thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
check the weight of your shoes.....?

you want to get the tracking checked. the tires could be scrubbing as you go along. do you have any modifications like a large drop that might cause the camber to be an issue.

are the tires wearing evenly or just wearing out?

the noise could also be showing that the tracking is out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car is completely stock. just as it rolled out the factory.
and just to clarify, i dont drive it at all, it belongs to my gf's mother. and she dont cane it at all, it runs quite happily from it's home to aberaeron (west wales) which is probably 5 odd miles, parked up at work, then driven home again, occasionally it get's a trip to the midlands where it's cobwebs are blown out en route, but it's never abused. it's cherished more than anything.

I've had shocks mentioned before....can any one concur?

the tyres are wearing evenly, and was tracked with the last set of tyres,
also been informed it's gone through more than one set at 5,000 mile intervals, it needs some now and will probably be it's 3rd or 4th set at this rate

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
could be the way they park? as in dry steering maybe? not sure how old she is, but my mum had to be taught how not to do dry steering (as power steering wasn't around when she learnt to drive). I'm sure she's not doing it that bad but dry steering will wear the tire out unnecessarily. it is the fronts we are talking about? or all 4?

·
Registered
12 Posts
10k out of a set of Bridgestone Potenza's sounds about right as thats what I roughly get. As for 5k per set thats very low. The Mother in law might be doing a few track days without you knowing lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts