Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
title analysis!!!!!

I want someone who has the knowledge to tell me which coilovers are for me!

I want something thats quality.
I dont want to spend too much but i know quality starts at about £600-700.
I use the car for a lot of long runs as well as the odd b road.
I believe my dampers and springs are past their best (bounce quite a lot-not nice over faster bumpy stretches)
I want some comfort (or damping control to improve comfort) and i want handling performance.
I want height adjustable as there isnt too much ground clearance as it is but i want some lowering.
I know about camber changes but do i need to buy parts to adjust this back (skunk2 adjustable top wishbones)
What brands actually are worth it?
Skunk2 make some pro-s (street) coilovers which in my opinion are worth it but they are really expensive
Tein look good but heard you need to choose spring rates-which rates for me? And which dampers?
D2 dont appeal to me, plus dont know much about products
KW make some quality shocks! but worth the money?
Gaz i've seen on ebay for quite cheap, but also i like the company. the ones i saw didnt have top caps-all the others come with them...
Other makers?
Am i just really wanting to get really good springs and dampers? The skunk2 springs and shortened dampers look good.
Are there other parts i might need? Uprated anti roll bars??

Fitting:
heard that the bolts are rediculously tight and rusted in and theres problems getting the right part.
Which parts do i need and which parts break?
Dont think that i will need spring compressors for coilovers? or do i?
Any other problems?

Setup:
Sounds like fun to play with the damping settings-but isnt that dangerous?
I want to preset some settings; track,fast road and comfort-is this possible?
Camber and toe in etc-makes sense to get alignment setup again! yes?
Ride height drops after its been fitted-go for higher than i want then it will drop/settle?

Also:
Will i get annoyed with the reduction in comfort, even after playing with damper settings???

My car:
Jordan ek4. Standard 15" wheels and 195/55 r15 tires. I do a lot of driving and know that my seats are comfy and the tire profile is good for comfort. Surely i cant affect it a lot. My friend has a 2007 mini with sport pack and 205/45 r17 wheels and i dont like his ride, but over the same bumps my car floats over but does upset the car at higher speed.
I had a lowered fiesta (eibach lowering springs, ford dampers) and it bumped over the bumps but when on standard springs i swear the spring rate was only a bit harder.
My 1st car had springs and dampers on (normal uprated ones) and i thought it worked really well. had no loss of grip.
I want the same sort of balls out handling with this car (or near enough to) but still have a reasonable level of comfort, as well as a bit of ride height drop.

Hope theres someone out there that can help. I dont want any old crap or have spent loads and have to put up with really big bumps!!! I know the suspension will be harder and i will feel the bumps a bit more. The car will be more sporty and over smooth roads the car will ride better (have experienced my brothers ep3, with its hard suspension-but on smooth roads it feels better!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey, first time Ive replyed to a post so hope I can help. All I can really help with is personal expericence. FIrstly I bought a ej9 copule of years ago and fitted a set of pi coilovers, they are a cheap set of coilovers (under 500 pounds) but I was really suprised with them. I am the same as urself use the car long distance as well as tuning along back roads and they give good handling but are not bouncy and have good amount of hieght ajustment. But they do not have damping ajustment. And also what I done was fit a rear camber kit to straighten up the back wheels again as the tyres were wearin quick on the inside edge. And felt no need for haveing front camber kit as the car was just for road use. Only extras I had were front strut brace, rear lower strut brace,and lower control arms. I am know selling this car and the coilovers are still working as good as when i bought them. As for the other makes you have mentioned I am unable to coment on them as have never used them. But I have just bought a jordan and for the mean time have fiited a set of spare coilovers I have in the garage(unsure the make, nothin fancy though) but will be going for a set of d2 as I have herd good things about them plus not to expensive and can be ajusted hieght, damping and are fully rebuildable and serviceable. At the moment I have the jordan set up the same as the ej9, rear camber kit etc and seams to be good so far and I am also running standerd wheels and standerd profiles. As for fitting the coilovers, I usually spray all the bolts with wd-40 a gd few times and the back usually comes apart pretty easy with nothin breaking. But the front on both cars I done I had to heat both the bolts at each side which bolt the coilovers on as they were siezed in. You shouldnt need spring comprsessors if you buy coilovers with top mounts as you just un bolt the standerd shocker and bolt on the new coilover but certain coilovers you may need to swap the top mounts over so you would probally need the compressors for the standerd springs to allow you to take the top mounts of. As for diiferent set ups for track etc, I think it would be difficult to get a full race set up which is still comftorble on the road and doest wear out the tyres quick, as it would be better for the track to have shockers ajusted stiff,set low, and camber on the wheels and possibly a bit of toe out on the front wheels to help under steer. So with this in mind I would go for a good fast road set up that would work on the road and still pretty good on the track. Set of coilovers, and yes you are right about them settleing in you may find that after a couple of weeks ruuning they will have settled in and went lower than when you fitted them, and if you go for damping ajustment this will be a case of trying the car on the road and if it feels to hard ajust it softer or the other way round. Once the suspension has settled down and you have made your re ajustments you will need to get the alingment done.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Fitting:
heard that the bolts are rediculously tight and rusted in and theres problems getting the right part.
Which parts do i need and which parts break? You will only need to get bushes and bolts. It might be worth replacing all the bushes anyway
Dont think that i will need spring compressors for coilovers? or do i? Yes
Any other problems? Should be fine on your car as it is pretty new and low milage, I had one bolt snap on my EK3 which was older and had done a lot more miles!

Setup:
Sounds like fun to play with the damping settings-but isnt that dangerous? Unless you know what your doing I wouldn't bother
I want to preset some settings; track,fast road and comfort-is this possible? No really unless you get electrical adjustable ones?
Camber and toe in etc-makes sense to get alignment setup again! yes? Yes have your tracking, alignment and balancing done.
Ride height drops after its been fitted-go for higher than i want then it will drop/settle? The car will drop slightly as the springs and shocks bed/settle in

Also:
Will i get annoyed with the reduction in comfort, even after playing with damper settings??? I didn't with my Civic but I do get annoyed when driving my mates Prelude which is VERY low as you catch the sump guard on the road all the time

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know which parts i want now. as i dont really want to be slammed im looking at koni adjustable shocks with eibach springs (will give adjustment and -35mm drop-enough really as its quite a low car to start with)

problems (cant afford the drop-my alignment is fooked)

i got my alignment checked and it shows a problem-passenger front wheel has positive camber! (as well as a few adjustments needed for toe etc). it sounds like its had a bump! ARGH! soo......

1. standard parts: change lower arm, then upper arm: still not fixed it sounds like subframe could be bent?? dont think it will have so assuming the lower arm.
2. get the camber kit made by skunk2 or someone and get that sorted
3. lower the car anyway and will adjust the camber in (will still probably need adjustable camber

I think that for best suspension and handling i will stick with what i have now (until i can afford it)
1.adjusting toe etc tomorrow and putting up with camber for time being
2.then when i can afford camber arms i will get them front and rear and get the car setup properly
3.then buy shocks and springs when i can afford them

im hoping its mainly toe in thats buggered the tires and that im just hooning too much round islands and that 1 degree of camber isnt doing anything!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts