Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've recently purchanced a 2003 Civic Sport. I'm really happy with the car but when driving I a straight line I have to constantly make steering adjustments. The car has done nearly 100k, I've seen a lot of people complaining of this on other forums but have yet to find a solid answer to the problem.
Can anyone tell me how this can be fixed?
Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have an ev1 55 plate with 38k on the clock and mines the same....
Had it to a few garages who all say the same "its fine"...
Spoils a great car imo.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Its a shame no one does any VAG com style software for the Civic, some of the VW and Audi models steering weight were able to be adjusted this way.

Not so these days mind, i read VAG made that part of the ECU inacessable, i dont suppose the Hondata mods contain any such option? :think:
Cheers!

James.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im gonna pull the boots off the rack and stick a load of cv joint grease in there to see if this helps. I see tegiwa make steering rack raising brackets, dont know if they help or not..

·
Registered
562 Posts
Im gonna pull the boots off the rack and stick a load of cv joint grease in there to see if this helps. I see tegiwa make steering rack raising brackets, dont know if they help or not..
That may help mate, certainly can't make it any worse!! the steering on these have to say i just about the worst I have experienced really is a PITA very tiring on a long journey on say the motorway, I've had full geometry done on mine a couple of times and doesn't really improve things , I think the design set up don't help either.Honda should never have gone over to Mcpherson struts on the front with the 7th Gen, should have stuck with double wishbone and steering rack in the right position and full hydraulic steering!! Cheers Pete

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
surely these cars didnt come out the factory with these issues? If i bought a new rack how long until it goes bad again?

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Having driven my old mans X-Type over the weekend I was glad to get back into my Civic. No, I shit thee not. Cruise control, 10 way adjustable seat, longer gear ratios and working aircon were great but driving it was awful in anything but a straight line.

The steering may be heavier than normal but as things go it works far better on back roads...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im not concerned about it being heavy, compared to my Integra the steering is really light. Its the straight line adjustments im concerned about

·
Registered
172 Posts
Haven't particularly noticed this as an issue on my EP2 or anyone else that has driven it for that matter.

Could it be worn out bushes at the front giving the free-play making it wander about the road?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Stevieh6
I have the same problem with my 2003 1.4 3 door and have looked for guidance on here and other Honda forums and tried the various solutions suggested. My conclusion is it is probably a fault with the rack from new (and the previous owner did not sort it with Honda) and the only solution now is to replace it with a used one that is known to be ok (i.e. not suffering from this problem) or a refurbished one from one of the companies doing this. New ones are out of the question on cost for a car of this age.
I can let you know what fixes I have tried so far if you are interested.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I know this is years after the issue but just incase anyone else is suffering from the same thing I think the answer is your steering rack has play in it. I had what sounds like the identical problem, the constant adjustments are from the play in the steering rack. Basically as you go along your wheels get gently naturally deflected, in a car with good steering your hand on the wheel keeps everything going straight, but when there's play in the steering rack the wheels are able to change direction slightly and this isn't represented by a change in the steering wheel. So you constantly have to adjust for this, very alarming at speed as the deflections are more significant. Not necessarily an MOT failure, depends if the tester thinks it's dangerous.

The first steering rack replacement I got was faulty but the second under warranty seems to have done the trick. Expect to pay £500. Makes it much more relaxing to drive! Seems sadly to be relatively common on these cars. Another point to note is that a new steering rack doesn't fix the, again common issue, of the lack of self centering I'm currently experiencing, which kind of sucks but is annoying rather than dangerous. I do wish they'd stuck with hydraulic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2003 ep3 type s with 90k and I’ve found the steering to be the same. The car doesn’t wander, but the steering just seems to feel sticky around the straight ahead position. Heard somewhere it might be something to do with the fact Honda uses an electric power steering system. Other than that I love the car.... a bargain at £450!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2003 ep3 type s with 90k and I’ve found the steering to be the same. The car doesn’t wander, but the steering just seems to feel sticky around the straight ahead position. Heard somewhere it might be something to do with the fact Honda uses an electric power steering system. Other than that I love the car.... a bargain at £450!
I know this was years ago did you ever sort the self steering problem out?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts