Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
looks ace with the orange wheels, what engine you got in it and how much power you running?

·
Registered
370 Posts
ill be waiting :D did you race at rockingham (nippon challenge)?? are you still intending to rally or are your prefering the track at the moment?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep raced at Rockingham yesterday and finished 6th overhall and 1st Honda (and 1st N/A). Really enjoying the circuit racing at the moment so gonna stick at it for a while and see what happens. Might go back to Rallying in the future but in a different car as I would have to change too much to get it back to Rally spec now.

·
Registered
370 Posts
cool the uni had a car there too. a red evo, boost hose popped so it ran crap, never get that with n/a heh haha. whens the next race??

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I wondered why I managed to pass him on the 3rd corner but later heard there was a boost problem........and there was me thinking I was super quick :) . Lovely looking car and noticed a few boys buzzing about on the Uni scooter

Next 3 rounds are at Pembrey but i'm on holiday so Mallory park in August will be my next outing 8-| 8-|

·
Registered
370 Posts
ha yeh it went on the start line!! good luck with the next outing.
how much money have you put into this project then?
did you used to drive competetively, karting etc?? or was it pursueing a dream??
sorry for questions im just interested in getting a car on a circuit in a few years when i have a job, not at uni draining my money!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No worries,

To cut a long story short, I've done a bit of tarmac rallying on and off the past 5 or 6 years and then late last year I decided I fancied a change. Noticed the Nippon series being advertised for this year and started changing the spec of the car to suit circuit racing.
I've never done any circuit racing or even been to any of the circuits so every race is a completely new experience for me.....quite daunting aswell :eek:

As for money, I've replaced every part on the car except the shell so have reciepts for over £15k over the past 2/3 years although it might be hard for some to see how i've spent that much on a civic.

What I will say is a race car can be built for a lot less than that and still have the same amount of fun so dont be put off by cost, and i'm completely skint and earn peanuts so I beg steal and borrow to make it to every race.

·
Registered
370 Posts
well rallying aint the easiest sport, alot more damage costs as youv'e shown!!!
nippon challenge is a good simple event. mixed racing. civics versus evos and rx7s!! you did alright then!!
cheers anyway its a dream i will fulfill one day. im working at red bull for degree placement so that will be closest to racing ive ever had :D:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok its been a month now since any sort of update so thought I would get this thread moving again :cool:

I decided a few weeks back that the Civic was still too lardy so took to it with an angle grinder and managed to remove 8kg. Richy (performance Autoworks) then took delivery of the car and went a step further and removed another 8kg :shock: ......Certainly heading in the right direction :cool:
It was also noted that one rear caliper was siezed so that was replaced as a matter of course.

Now comes the biggest change of all over the past month.........rebuild time :twisted:

The little B16b was pulled apart and given some new bits and a freshen up in the hope to gain a little more power/torque. This includes...............

B18c6 Crank and Rods (crank polished and balanced)
B16b pistons
Block honed
ARP rod bolts
New Bearings, Piston rings, Seal, Gaskets etc etc
Head skimmed, then ported/polished by Richy

The speed in which the engine was removed, rebuilt and re-fitted was pretty damn amazing especially as i know Richy has done most of the above work in the evenings and on weekends (which means Deb probably hates my guts right now :oops: )

When I spoke to him yesterday afternoon the engine was still being put back together and the plan was to have a go at finishing it on Saturday. I then recieved a video on my phone at 8pm with the engine in, and runnning as sweet as a nut :shock:

Really looking forward to picking it up and getting some miles on the new engine, before I need to sort out an ECU and hopefully a rolling road session to see how things are looking :twisted:

As always, massive thanks to Performance Autoworks and especially Richy who has been a legend when it comes to the little Civic. I just hope with a possible 6 very quick Hondas at Mallory next month I can do his hard work justice :lol:

Cheers for reading and pics will follow shortly :wink:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its Saturday night and all is well, especially as the Civic is now back home :cool:

As per my previous post its now running a B18b :lol: and boy has it made a difference. I was a bit unsure on how to drive the car today as it had only done 60 miles since being put back together, but I was assured it would be fine to drive it as intended and he wasnt wrong :twisted:

The car pulls really well from low revs and the extra torque is very noticeable in every gear, especially as you really had to rev the B16b to get it to work for you. The biggest improvement though is when you use 4th and 5th. Before 4th was quite long and when you changed into 5th, it just sort of bogged down and took ages to build up speed. Now all 5 gears seem really well matched and 5th feels just like 2nd or 3rd in the way it pulls. I spent the past hour driving about in 5th on some twisty B-roads and had plenty of fun without even having to use Vtec.

Am I happy with the changes? Damn right :cool: :lol:

The work carried out on the car/engine by Performance-Autoworks was as follows......................................

B16b Block, Head and pistons
B18c6 Crank and Rods
New Piston rings
ACL Main bearing shells
ACL Big End bearing shells
ACL thrust washers
Head gasket set
Conversion gasket set
ARP rod bolts
Timing belt, spark plugs, Oil and filter
New rear brake caliper
Reface cylinder head
Reface cylinder block
Hone cylinders
Polish crank journals
Full bottom end balance
Port match cylinder head
New speed de-limiter fitted........plus all the little extras :cool:

As you would expect from Richy everything was done to a very high standard and it shows in how well the car now performs.
Theres still a million and one things I want to do and there still more power to be had, but for now i'm gonna enjoy it and get some more racing under my belt.

Cheers for reading and here are some pics taken by Richy :wink:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts