Honda Civic Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Civic 1.6 dtec ex
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I have a 2013 civic 1.6 dtec and had a problem with the battery light coming on intermittently. Usually from cold. Experience told me that it was an alternator problem. I checked the output and the voltage was variable so it was definitely the alternator. Changed the alternator and it made no difference whatsoever. What I hadn't realised is that modern cars have an adaptive charging system so the alternator output changes according to the batteries state of charge. To cut a long and tedious story short I bought a new Exide battery and it cured the problem. If this post saves anyone from a major expense (alternator and or ELD) then it was worth putting on. Ps The car never failed to start first time. Just an annoying battery light.
UPDATE. The day that I posted this the light came on again. I found a secondhand ELD (Electrical Load Detector) on eBay for 20 quid and now it really is cured. I read on another forum that ELDs don't go wrong. Could have saved £220 if I'd if I'd ignored that one. Anyway, I hope this helps someone..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. I have a 2013 civic 1.6 dtec and had a problem with the battery light coming on intermittently. Usually from cold. Experience told me that it was an alternator problem. I checked the output and the voltage was variable so it was definitely the alternator. Changed the alternator and it made no difference whatsoever. What I hadn't realised is that modern cars have an adaptive charging system so the alternator output changes according to the batteries state of charge. To cut a long and tedious story short I bought a new Exide battery and it cured the problem. If this post saves anyone from a major expense (alternator and or ELD) then it was worth putting on. Ps The car never failed to start first time. Just an annoying battery light.
UPDATE. The day that I posted this the light came on again. I found a secondhand ELD (Electrical Load Detector) on eBay for 20 quid and now it really is cured. I read on another forum that ELDs don't go wrong. Could have saved £220 if I'd if I'd ignored that one. Anyway, I hope this helps someone..
Useful post for anyone with that issue. Thanks! I am looking at a 1.6 DTEC so that's useful stuff.

Modern cars do have plenty of annoying little complexities. Often starting with the cheapest part is the best option if you are at a loss as to what maybe causing the issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts