Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a civic coupe yesterday to use for a while and fix up a bit. The first job looks like replacing the headlining as its all fallen to nits and is dropping down all round the car! It looks like it's gonna be a bit of a nightmare, but I'm sure by the looks of things that it's a fairly common problem. Can anyone give me any advice on replacing it and where I might source one from? They look like due to the way they're fitted they can't be swapped from another car.
I'm getting my hands on a Haynes manual soon, but meanwhile, any tips on an intermittent speedo? is this a common problem and where is the sensor/sender?
Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll have more questions soon!!
Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply!!
Looking at your pics, you did a nice tidy job!
My roof lining looks completely different though: It looks like yours is the kind of solid 'cardboard' type, whereas mine is simply nasty foam backed fabric stretched all round and held in by the various screwed on bits (visors, interior light) and by the rubber seals at the sunroof and doors. The sunroof looks like a non-factory one, it's elecric with the switch next to it on the roof and not on the dashboard. I'll have a proper look tomorrow, because it's starting to lok like its all a bit cut and shut......

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
yeh, basically when i bought the car, the ex owner was massively tall, and his head would hit the roof alot. So all around the drivers side of the sunroof was peeled off.. as i was gonna leather my interior I thought id leather the roof aswell.. came out REALLY well!
Im not gonna lie though.. its a massively massive job lol.. all interior trim including the rear seats and the rear armrests etc have to come out.. If your not up for ALOT of work.. I wouldnt even bother..

If you do go ahead with it.. when you unscrew the headlining get someone in the front to bring it down, and then push it too you and take it out of the boot.. its common sense to do this, but some people ive read about on the internet bent them in half to take them out of the door way and it makes a crease in the liner, which you cant get rid of.

Hope this helps :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
just read your post.. mine originally looked like that, i covered it in leatherette.
Also, the sun visors etc dont hold it on.. when you take the a pillar covers off and the seatbelt bolt covers, there are screws through the liner that hold it to the roof..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh i see.....I don't have any solid board in mine at all, I reckon that was removed by whoever fitted the sunroof, and then they put in this fabric instead. I'll get a proper look tomorrow and see what it's all about, it might be a simple case of replacing what they did with something similar, as I doubt the sunroof will be exactly the same size/in the same place as a factory one which would enable me to fit a relacement solid roof liner.
I'm always up for massive jobs! I don't think I've owned a car yet I havent almost fully stripped and rebuilt over the time i've had it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:
As I thought the headlining has been replaced before.....The 'solid board' type headlining was obviously removed when the aftermarket sunroof was put in. The cut off the front and rear 4" or so, and used this to stick headlining fabric to. It was then stretched around under the plastic a, b and c pillar trims. Looked quite neat, like a factory job, but over time its disintegrated and was hanging dowm in shreds.
So today I pulled it all out, the sunroof has a sliding blind which I had to take to bits to get it all out for recovering. I bought some headlining fabric from a local trimmer for £40, trimmed the sunroof panel and reassembled it. Ran out of time so I'll fit the rest of it on Friday when I have another day off, but looks ok so far!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts