Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joined today. Recently acquired a 100,000 miles 5 door 1400 Civic. Pervious owner for last 90,000 miles does not recall ever having carried out any maintenance! As the car ran beautifully, however, I took a risk and bought it.

A 450 mile trip (non motorway) returned 45 mpg which seemed good although I do not know what is expected.

I decided on a programme of maintenance which, to date, has included replacement timing belt, oil change with filter, replacement ait filter, renewal of spark plugs, renewal of transmission fluid. The timing belt was marked 'Honda' and probably original!. Spark plug colour indicated a good engine condition although the plug gaps were enormous. Again, possibly original Their renewal resulted in instantaneous starting from cold.

Some minor problems

The key fob unlocks the central locking but does not lock. Replacement fob battery made no difference.

The ABS warning sometimes stays visible.

The CD player won't accept a CD as if physically obstructed.

No flow of water from rear screen washer.

Air conditioning does not produce cold air although I doubt if the system has ever been recharged.

Member's advice would be appreciated.

Kenb

·
Registered
2 Posts
-Air con, you probably need a new condeser which is about £200. If yu don't keep them charged, I believe they perish over time.
- Chage the brake fluid and coolant if you have no real service history.
-Use an air gun to blow the washer pipes through.
- Bin the CD player, ha.

thats my 2p.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts