Honda Civic Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

first time poster. Had a 2018 civic for 5 months and today notices The air con isn’t working. I have done some Googling and seems it can either be the compressor or condenser. Is there and easy way to find out?
With the engine on and aircon on the clutch oj the aircon is not spinning.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
58 Posts
If the Aircon pump is not spinning, the Aircon won't be working. It's what pumps the refrigerant through the evaporator and condenser. My first check would be fuses and relays. Second check electrical connections, third check sensors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I have checked the fuses and relays and nothing. I don’t think there is any gas at all in the system.

Blowers blow very hot with air con on.

thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
If the pump (compressor) is not turning then the Aircon is not on. Irrespective of what switch you press.

The best way to check is with a hot car interior on a hot day. Open the bonnet, put it on it's stay. Start the engine, switch the heater control to low. Press the Aircon button and make sure it indicates On. Go check under the bonnet. If the Aircon compressor's clutch is engaged and the compressor pump is turning, you have Aircon. If it doesn't create cold air you probably have some form of gassing problem. If the pump is not engaged and turning your air-conditioning will never create cooling, irrespective of whether the system is fully gassed or has a broken pipe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Bryan,

the compressor pump does not turn when the aircon Is on! Sorry should have included that in previous message. Does this mean a knackered compressor?

thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi the compressor will not work/turn when the R134a gas has leaked out. Its a safety aspect to protect the compressors internal components. So get the gas checked for pressure. Then if the gas has gone then have the system checked for leaks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts