Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was driving home the other day and noticed my temp gauge soaring towards the red, never ever had a problem with my trusty civic before and had a right shock!

anyways, i turned the heating on full blast and the car gradually began to cool down, (temp gauge about half way) but i noticed my fan wasnt working, i turned the car off, turned ignition on and placed a pin in the fan to test if it was working, the fan then started to spin,

also, i drove the car this morning, left my pin in the fan switch and heating full blast, car heated up to normal temp, as soon as i turned heating off, it started to rise on the gauge again, any ideas? is this problem a thermostat or possible air lock which needs bleeding?

dont know whether to buy a thermostat, fan switch or just get someone to bleed it..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I to have this same issue did u manage to locate the reason I really would like to fix mine before I have to scrap it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hope you were able to fix the issue?! Sounds like a thermostat or a bad fan or both.

A good way to check for a faulty thermostat is by checking the two hoses that lead in and out of the radiator. If one is hot and the other noticeably cooler all signs point to thermostat…means it’s not allowing for proper flow i.e. it’s stuck closed.

Generally, the bigger diameter hose is coolant flowing from the motor into the radiator and it’s always hotter than the smaller hose coming out of the radiator into the motor. The smaller one is kinda hot, but not as much as the bigger hose. However, if it’s quite a bit cooler as in, not really warm at all, I’d bet money on thermostat. As for the fan, it’s self explanatory; it’s either spinning or it’s not. ;-)

Nice move on turning that heater on full blast…most likely saved you some dough as that usually results in a blown head gasket due to a warped head and possibly block too. It’s really not a pricey fix at all if you do the work yourself and have the tools to do the job. You can even resurface the head and block yourself for around $50-$60. Just need a “dead flat” piece of glass which can be found on eBay…”dead flat” is the brand name. Then some 80 & 120 grit sand paper and some “spray tack” or any aerosol spray glue, feeler gauges and straight edge. You can usually find “spray tack” glue or it’s equivalent in the flooring dept. of Home Depot. You can order everything else pretty cheap on eBay.

Look up resurfacing a head on YouTube…you don’t have to take it to a shop…you just need elbow grease and the above listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts