Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dose a honda civic 1.6 ' 1.8 vti, OR a 2.2 prelude v-tech rear disk hub fit a honda civic 1.5 lsi rear drum hub???? would be very gratefull if sum 1 cud anserw my problem!! chears

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don't use anything off the prelude unless you convert the front to 4x114 stud as well.

Keep an eye out on ebay, people breaking VTi's will sell you the whole rear trailing arm with the hub discs and all attached stuff at bargain prices. Much easier to change the whole arm than try and get the old drums off completely and rebuild with discs...

You'll also need the handbrake cables off a VTi which is the same body shape as what you're converting.

Just drop the old rear arms and chuck the ones with the discs on with some new pads / discs and you'll be set ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was looking 2 invest in sum braided hoses do you no enywhere seling them cheep? :p will this rear disk coversion make a big diffrence with stoping time ect ???

Edit:

a website.. ect.?

·
Registered
109 Posts
You'll pull up 10ft earlier... maybe. If you've got bigger rotors up front and proper pads at all four corners you'll notice a big difference in braking feel and stability which is just as important as stopping distance.

Of course good pads will help the most. Slotted or otherwise rotors will not unless you're a track junkie. Buying them because they're 'pretty' is fail, and you'll also discover that stopping at slower speeds requires somewhat more effort as you have less braking area the pad is hitting on the disc.

http://www.funkypower.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm rocking the 1.3 carb... terrible piece of junk but that's on it's way out in april.

A bigger engine needs a full brake upgrade ideally. I've just got myself the entire suspension from a VTi (most of which I don't need and will be selling) for the front and rear brakes which will set me up for the 100 extra horsepower I'll be running in a few months.

Honestly, before to a more powerful engine in a chassis equipped for a smaller / less powerful unit, do the leg work first. Get a proper suspension setup, sort the brakes out. Otherwise you'll find yourself steaming toward a junction unable to slow down and with no grip to try and avoid the poor sod in front you're about to wipe out into.

Get the base work done, then you can start thinking about more power.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
big rotors up front yes , but the only advantage to rear discs is the maintenance is less ,
you dont need a lot of braking on the back of front wheel drive cars especially light cars like civics all you will be doing is starting to lock up the rears all the time
there is just no weight in the rear especially under hard braking .

but big thumbs up for braided hoses :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats my plan! lol im looking at a new engine in april, don't we love tax rebates :p lol don't no what yet looking 4 advise at the moment

Edit:

PAUL?? worth doing untill bigger engine? don't rearly want my arse end locking up all the time!

·
Registered
109 Posts
For me, it's more the peace of mind and also the potential on track with the addition of a balance bar.

They do help, as I said previously, not much but they do help with braking distance a little. Drums are rubbish - they store heat internally and they're rubbish at their job.

As long as you've got the master cylinder from the donor car (will help massively with braking feel) and the proportioning valve off a car with 4 disc brakes you'll be fine.

You'll only lock the rears if you're braking REALLY hard. The way a prop valve works is to equalise pressure between the front and back under normal braking, and then when you brake hard it puts more pressure forward. I suspect you'll be fine with the standard prop valve in all honestly as they should be 40/40 on most models - that being the most common one to use...

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
zeppelin101 said:
Drums are rubbish - they store heat internally and they're rubbish at their job.
I take it you have never driven a 44Ton truck then drums all round my friend .

Edit:

civic 1.5 lsi 1992 said:
will my arse end lock up? SCARED of hard brakeing rownd a courner an slideing! lol
get discs off a similar weighted car there should be no issues

·
Registered
109 Posts
I can't help but think it would be nothing but abysmal. If drums were any good then we would still be using them up front as well right? :p

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
zeppelin101 said:
I can't help but think it would be nothing but abysmal. If drums were any good then we would still be using them up front as well right? :p
no there sh1t on the front of cars nobody adjusts them and most auto adjusters on drums never work right , i was just saying that not all drums are bad .
and they tend to make better hand brakes hence a lot of manufacturers using inboard handbrakes that operate using the disc bell as a handbrake drum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts