Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey people newbie here, ive bought a cheap civic today with a problem, expansion bottle boils over when hot,

both coolant hoses get hot and the fan cuts in and continues to run, while this happens the temprature guage rises and after a while the system builds up pressure and the coolant in the expansion boils over

is this the headgasket gone?

any info would be great thanks :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was on idle, but took about 30-45mins for this to happen, the previous owner said it did it after about a hours drive and he pulled up at his home and then saw the coolant boil over onto the floar

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
forgot to say, the previous owner replaced the thermostat with a genuine honda one and has tried afew different radiator caps aswell

·
Registered
780 Posts
the head bolts are very expensive from honda, mine ran in at £9.80+vat per bolt, when you need ten, thats about £130 worth!!

if your gunna push the car then yes get new bolts, but if not then just use the old ones, they will be fine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i got a head set and head bolts for £92 this morning

ive put them on today, what a nightmare taking off the bottom pulley off, anyway the fan now cuts in and out properly and didnt overheat, i finished at 9 just before it got dark, so ill give her a proper run tomorrow as i noticed the bottom crank pulley looked abit wonky as the engine was running so i want to recheck this first make sure ive fitted it correctly, fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
check there's no dirt behind the face of the pulley, so it runs fine, the worst that will happen is that you will get a lumpy idle due to vibration, or the belts that run off it will wear more quickly, other wise hope all is good and its ok from now on!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i removed the pulley, and refitted and torque set the bolt rather than just using my battery impact gun this time

pulley is still wonky when running but when you rev it the pulley seems more normal and straight

i also noticed a crack in the pulley, from one hole to another, i think i did this by the way i locked it up to undo the bolt, so looking at this i beleive i may have distorted the pulley and this giving the impression that the pulley is seated incorrectly but infact the pulley is on properly, i gave the car a good hard thrashing yesterday to make sure, cooling system seems to react as it should do now aswell.

i may source another pulley in future for peace of mind but the cars fine now :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts