Honda Civic Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has the garage guessing. Car would occasionally have a flat battery. At first blamed battery 6 year old. Changed battery with same make and model. Then blamed on not doing enough miles. Then started diagnostics and found on starting when cold charging voltage at 14.3v then as car revved up this dropped away to 11.1v. As car warmed up charging voltage increased but variable. Apply a load...headlights, heated seats...charging voltage increases to 14v. Garage suggested new alternator £850+. Could it just be a sensor or the like?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has the garage guessing. Car would occasionally have a flat battery. At first blamed battery 6 year old. Changed battery with same make and model. Then blamed on not doing enough miles. Then started diagnostics and found on starting when cold charging voltage at 14.3v then as car revved up this dropped away to 11.1v. As car warmed up charging voltage increased but variable. Apply a load...headlights, heated seats...charging voltage increases to 14v. Garage suggested new alternator £850+. Could it just be a sensor or the like?
Did you find out what the problem was ?.
As I am having the same problem, and have read it could be the ELD (electrical load detector)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI Spent £110 at Auto Electric garage to have it confirmed ‘generator at fault probably diode going down’. So your guess as good as mine. Saving up to replace generator. In the meantime giving battery full charge every two weeks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you find out what the problem was ?.
As I am having the same problem, and have read it could be the ELD (electrical load detector)
I had the same problem when starting my 2013 civic it would charge at 14 volts for 10 secs then drop to 11.9 volts. I service the car my self and noticed afterwards on checking on the road that every thing was ok the voltage was steady at 14v? Retracing what i had done i tried opening the bonnet before starting the engine then shutting the bonnet with the engine running, a steady 14 volts where achieved for the trip. Unfortunately this has to be done each time you start. You could wire it up to do the same thing using the bonnet open switch if it work on your car, but if you do MAKE SURE AS SOON AS THE ENGINE HAS STARTED THE BONNET WARNING LIGHT IS OUT!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts