Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i,m here now I might as well start another thread. I,ve bought some upgraded white headlight bulbs and had a quick peek under the bonnet. Believe it or not i,m an ex aircraft engineer and now a mechanical engineer instructor but cars seem to baffle me. The headlights seem to be awkward to access and was wondering is it easy to replace the main bulb? Normally its just a weather cap to remove and a spring clip.
My previous car, a Renault megane was an absolute nightmare to change bulbs. I could do it, just, because of my engineering background. As long as I dislocated my wrist in 3 places and hung upside down from a cherry picker. Renault suggested I took it to the main dealer as the only option was to remove the whole front bumper at a cost of approx £97+vat. Ludicrous!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
What car have you got?

I have got an EK3 and have changed the bulbs on there and yes they are a bloddy pain to change! its just a weather cap, the connecters and a spring clip but as you said you need to dislocate your arm in about 6 places to be able to do it. remember they were made by japaneese people who are little ;)

Makes it even harder as your not supposed to touch the glass lense.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I,ve got a 2004 1.7 cdti. So do you need any special tools or equipment I might need to prepare? Havent looked into this EK3 model number system yet so dont really know what your talking about. Sorry.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Basically the EK3 is a 96-00 hatch so a bit older than your car. I dont think you should need any special tools its a fairly simple job, pop the bonnet and take a look!

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't have your generation of Civic) but is the case that access to your left bulb (from the driver's seat) is blocked by a bottle of fluid (perhaps brake fluid, not sure) and that access to your right hand bulb is blocked by your factory air box?

If this is so, as it was for me, you need to remove both of these parts. Literally the only way to gain full access to is simply unbolt and remove the parts around it.

It's a couple hours work, but can be done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought changing bulbs should be a simple, quick road side fix. Health and safety etc. You dont want to be hanging around in a layby for ages risking life and limb just cos some jobworthy plod has pulled you over for a defective light.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
So true, and I think it's a bit of a oversight on Honda's side. However halogen bulbs rarely blow like traditional bulbs, and tend to fade out, and so can be replaced when you wish.

Is what I said in my previous post going to do the trick for you?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I,ll have to pop the bonnet over the weekend if it stops raining long enough to tackle the job.
I think car manufacturers have lost the sense of safety and got dollar signs in their eyes when it comes to maintenance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts