Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have just bought an Honda Civic VTEC Executive 1590cc Petrol Auto with 75,000 miles on and lots of history (but nothing on the cam belt) so I was wondering if:

It has a cam belt?.

And roughly how much I would be looking at to get it replaced?

Oxford based :)

P.S. Is this a 7th Gen car?

·
Registered
16 Posts
As far as I know all Hondas have cambelt. Probably about £200 fitted but £29-30 parts. It's not that difficult with a manual and a bit of spanner ability. Should be changed every 60,000 miles.Gen 7 has the gearstick in the dashboard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also iirc Honda say change belt at 70k on these so It could still be on original belt. If you can, contact the previous owner ask if the cambelt has been changed. If in doubt change it as cambelt failing will DESTROY engine ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looking again at op "loads of history" if belt had been changed would be in history.
Apologies for spamming post but this is important.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, yes these do have a cambelt and it is probably cheaper to get it done at a main dealer. From the horses mouth:

"Cam belts are due every 6 years or 75,000 miles whichever is 1st. As long as a genuine belt was used in the last repair it should be ok for another year.
The current price for the cam replacement is £225.00"

This is my second Civic. When I had the cambelt done on my first one a few years ago I rang around several garages for quotes and Honda were *way* cheaper than anywhere else. It is probably in their interest. If you go elsewhere and it breaks, or you don't get it done and it breaks, most folk will probably still blame the manufacturer of their rubbish car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts