Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buy a 12v led from a store like halfords I used to use ultra bright miniature led's in a pack of 4 for £5, then get a 470k resistor (this is to make it not as bright for fitting in the clocks), red scotch lock and a blue crimp lug with a 5mm hole in it.

Now solder the resistor to the negative - wire then crimp the blue lug to the other side of the resistor.

There is a resistor soldered in the blue lug to dim the led so its not to bright at night

Use the instructions below
Installation instructions for VTEC indicator light for EP3 Civic Type R

The position for the light here is the Instrument Clocks. Whilst installation may be similar in other models, caution is advised. No responsibility is accepted for any damage occurring as a result of installing this product.

You will need

1 x VTEC Indicator Light Kit
Set Of Pliers
Small Flat Blade Screwdriver
Positive Screwdriver
10mm Spanner
Blade Or Wire-Strippers
Insulation tape
6mm Hss Drill Bit And Battery Drill

In this installation, access to two wires is sought:

1. VTEC ECU wire
This becomes 12V +ve @ Vtec rpm Level (Colour: green with yellow stripe)

2. Negative (-) ground (car body)

Fitting Instructions

Decide where you are mounting your VTEC Indicator Light
And drill a 6mm hole (I mounted mine in the clocks which involved removing the clocks and stripping them down to dill the hole) another good and very easy place to mount the so you carefully just flick it out. Once the 6mm hole is drilled push the outer case of the VTEC Indicator Light into the hole. Once this is secured push the VTEC Indicator Light into the case. Now you have done this thread the cable behind the dash to the ecu

Tapping into the ECU

Open and drop down the glove box then remove the cover beneath glove box to expose the ECU and connecting wires. There are three modular connector blocks plugged in.The centre modular connector block is white plastic and has a Green wire with a Yellow stripe. This is the VTEC wire; it becomes a 12V + when VTEC rev point is reached. Cut the binding insulation tape on the bundle of wires to access the VTEC wire. Now use the blue splice supplied to connect the supplied red wire to the green/yellow wire. When a secure splice is obtained, clip the splice housing together and secure with insulation tape. Re-bind the bundle of wires with insulation tape.
WARNING: There is also a YELLOW wire with GREEN stripe. This is the Fuel pump wire.
Connect the supplied Negative (Black-) Ground wire to a suitable place e.g., Beneath an exposed bolt or screw in contact with the car’s metalwork.
Now when you drive your car and you reach your Vtec rpm your VTEC Indicator Light Kit indicator will glow.

If you require your LED to be brighter please cut out the resistor in the negative (-) ground wire Lug

Replace the panels and glove box And Enjoy

If i am right it is the same Green wire with a Yellow stripe on all vtec engine Honda's for the vtec 12v+

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
im not knocking the job looks quite standard , i was just wondering as to the point , i have never driven the sport only the R so as for vtec i did not know it was less of a kick , but in saying that have driven a lot of vtec cars and have wondered when its all going to happen and it never does ,
best 2 i have ever driven to date is the 2.2 prelude and the type R civic , i must admit the prelude was the most fun for power delivery and torque but then it is a bigger engine :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
is my vtec different to the h22? i get crossover at 5500 (hear the noise) then the fuelling is upped at 6 and then ur flying towards the limiter!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
The VTEC in the B16's is the most violent corssover I find. Mind you I was driving my mates 2.2 VTEC 'lude about that other day and the power delivery on that is wicked once the VTEC kicks in it does push you back in your seat. I cant wait until the first time i hit VTEC once we have the JDM H22 in the CRX

·
Registered
614 Posts
yeah that should be mint edd!!! the vtec crossover in the b16 has got to be different. i mean i feel it lots when it crosses over as it is an extremley noticeable jump in power but the h22 is surely more violent?!?!?!?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is this actually the same for the Sport, 2002?
As like the guy said its smooth and cant really feel any boost unlike the R's

-- 01 Jun 2009, 17:22 --

Oh i mean the wiring lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts