Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got a question for people who have done this already. I am going to renew my brake pads soon, I have the Haynes service and repair manual and there is a part before you remove the brake system that says "spray the assembly with brake system cleaner to remove the dust produced by brake pad wear." Is it essential that I spray it with a cleaner or can I get a cloth and rub the disks? Also there is a part saying apply anti-squeal compound to the rear of the pads is this needed?

I have found this video on youtube showing how to change brake pads but its not on a civic.
[youtube:wj2hvszp]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYnQxEjGq2A[/youtube:wj2hvszp]

Thanks
Andy

YOU TUBE VIDEO EMBEDDED
please can all use the youtube embedder thanks

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
hi
old brake linings contained asbestos which was one of the reasons for cleaning the dust , but these days they are asbestos free.
but you should clean the parts with brake cleaner so you can start as clean as possible in the carriers etc,
as for the grease you can put a bity of copper grease or such like where the pads sit , but thats as far as i would go dont smear the back of them purchase good pad and they will come with an anti squeel pad fitted to the rear of the pad .
any other questions just shout.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts