Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never changed a brake disc before, as most of you wil know, lol, but I want to know what's involved, and will I be able to get away without changing my pads until they've worn down some more, or will I need to change to much larger pads to fit the new discs?

Might sound like a stupid question, but I'd like to know, lol.

I've seen some on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180315873525 for £75 delivered, which seem 'too cheap'?

They say it's for the Type-R EP3 and I have a Sport, EP2, but their Sport discs are 4-stud and mine are 5-stud. These will be alright presumably?

If I do need new pads, any ideas which ones would fit, preferably with a link or even just what I need to search for.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
They wont fit. If the studs are different they wont physically go on the hub.

I am guessing the calipers on the EP3 are also larger than the Sport ones. so the calipers wont fit over the disks either. You will need the full setup I'm not sure if the EP3 calipers will mount onto the Sport hubs (I doubt it) so you will need to replace the complete hub setup.

£75 is fine, I paid £38 for my MG ZS disks to go on my CRX.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the Facelift Sport has the same (5 stud) fitting as the Type-R. I do realise the ones in the pics are 4-stud, but I checked the other listings from him and he uses the same pic.

So, if they do fit I'll definitely need new Calipers then, right? :(

If I need new calipers, how do I find out which ones will fit?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
The EP3 calipers will do it however I don't know if these will bolt onto EP2 hubs. I suspect not.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps I should take off the wheel and have a good look at the brake disc?

Also, is it fairly easy to change calipers and discs, or will I need special tools/skills etc. lol

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Nope its easy as pie, if you need to change the hubs you will need a ball joint splitter though.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do I find out what calipers + pads I'll need for those discs? Or any discs if I get different ones?

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aye, but if the discs I'm getting are larger then the OEM EP3 discs (which I'm not sure if they are) then surely the EP3 pads/calipers won't fit? Or will they?

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is getting expensive!

I've seen a set of EP3 discs, front and rear, with pads for about £170 or £180... it's just a case of will they fir in the EP2 calipers. I'd guess not. I don't know the width of my current discs, even knowing that would help I suppose! lol

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EP2 front discs are 25mm thick, same as EP3 and the EP2 rear discs are 10mm which is also the same as the EP3.

Buying EP3 calipers/hubs would be expensive I'd imagine. Haven't seen any about on eBay. Maybe I should just get some EP2 discs and pads? lol

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What about the discs, shouldn't I get new discs as well?

What the fook is a brake line? I'm assuming you mean whatever connects my foot to the brake? haha! lol

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Not really as you won't be buying used.

You could probably get the 2 front hubs for 200. Stock springs and shocks go cheap aswell as they are not in great demand, either sold from a scrapped car or from a private CTR owner who has uprated them.

Calipers are bloody expensive to buy new though so used prices reflect that.

I reckon you could have the lot for less than 500 sheets. Possibly less than 400, it depends on your bargaining skills!

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I't a lot more than I was hoping you'd say! :D

Think I might go for Discs, Pads and Steel Brake lines... 'bout £200 for the lot, front and back! :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts