Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car was originally a D14Z4. I picked up an auto MB with a D16B2 this was removed, I stripped the head, re seated the valves and took it to Dan at RPM Garage in Coleridge Devon, where he carried out some porting work, opening up both the intake and exhaust, along with matching the intake ports to the Z6 manifold. The B2 uses a plastic manifold with a smaller diameter transition into the head, plus the injector locations are slightly different. So with the Z6 manifold on a stock B2 head, the injector would spray onto an edge of the intake port and not into the port directly.

After the porting work was complete, the head was then skimmed a few mm at the machine shop. I didn't ask for a specific measurement, but just for a minimal skim.



Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As the car is used daily, and I'm impatient, I bought some cheap coilovers from maxspeeding rods, some bbs alloys from a VW and gutted the cat. The rear silencer had rusted out internally so I ordered a universal silencer and welded it on in place.

I'd temporarily fitted the Z6 manifold and a 4-2-1 to the Z4 which would then be swapped over to the B2 when it went in.

To fit the Z6 intake I had to delete the Purge valve solenoid and later the rest of the system. I used the Z4 throttle body as it used the 2 wire iacv and I didn't want to change anything around with the loom as I needed the car for work the next day, and didn't want to cut any connectors off the auto B2 loom yet.


Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a few parts arrive in the post, including some vitara pistons and forged rods, arp bolts, new bearings, gaskets etc.

I took the freshly skimmed head back to Dan an RPM Garage, along with the bottom end and all the new parts. We stripped it down and weighed the new rods, pistons, pins and bolts and balanced things out as best as possible. The new bearings were measured along with the crank and also matched as best as possible.

I left the engine with Dan to build.
Some of the work carried out was:

Notching block and cradle, Engine rebuild, port and shim of the oil pump, AN fittings to rocker cover and sump, new water pump, timing belt + tensioner, thermostat, stock breather/baffle on engine block was removed and replaced with AN fitting using a bit of customisation.


Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a 4 port catch can and all the fluids for the new engine, a new flywheel and clutch for a D16 as the engine came off an auto and the Z4 clutch is too small, plus was on its way out.

I got some bumper cutouts/vents and colour coded them to the car, ill put a colour coded mesh in at some point to hide it a bit more. Cleaned up a bit of the bumpers so it looks ok from a distance, and colour matched some strips.

I'll add pictures of front end painted in another post as i don't have any to hand


Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next stage was to get the engine in. We painted the rocker cover a metallic bmw black, I fitted silicone hoses whilst Dan modified the rack to remove power steering. I didn't like the feel of the power steering so decided to get rid.

Whilst the engine was out I gave the engine bay a quick clean up.


Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the engine in we took it out to tune a base map on Dans hondata p28. My p28 I bought from Dan is a chip and socket so at RPM Garage they got it dialled in on the hondata ecu and then burned the map onto a chip for my ecu. The catch can was fitted, and decided to go ahead and change out my track rod ends, upper wishbones, lower ball joints and wheel bearings. The front wheel bearings were pretty knackered after doing 150,000 miles. I've not done the rears as ill be doing a disc conversion after it's turbod, before we step up the power. Bought some billet torque mounts as one was shot. Plus they look good.
To make room for the catch can we mounted the battery in the boot.


Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a few guages to install.
Exhaust gas temp
Oil temp
Oil pressure
Voltage

Still need to order wideband.

Fitted billet torque mounts. Alot of vibration of dash now, mainly air vents but main dash piece at times. Will address this when fitting and wiring guages.


Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top