Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to turbo my b16 but i dont want to change internals, how much psi can you run without cams etc, and what would be needed. oh ye and is it possible?

·
Registered
340 Posts
oh yeah its possible, get really good power output aswell if you do it all right with the right part, or so ive seen anyways! not sure about what you can get away with running without upgrading internals, im not one of the turbo experts on here!

·
Registered
103 Posts
honda vtec engines are built high compression pistons as they are NA a turbo engine needs low comp pistons and that is totally different to the honda one, sticking a blower on a B with standard internals will end in tears dude, but it is possible.

·
Registered
770 Posts
its perfectly fine to turbo on stock internals aslong as you know the limits and dont push them.

B series engine can handle around 8-7psi

you cant just give a psi rating as there are to many varibles, but being higher compression not much boost will be needed to achive good power.

ive heard the figure of 250whp on a stock block and head.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to hijack your thread but it is the sort of on the same wavelength

Would this be the same for a supercharger? I've read somewhere on a civic forum that SC's cause less stress on the engine due to the power being a steady increase and not a massive burst with turbo's

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
right i have got to have a turbo drove my mates scooby tonight awsome! so if i get a decent turbo kit which includes all the stuff, what else would i need fuel pump? injectors? gauges?........????

·
Registered
381 Posts
my mate has just turbo'd his crx, its a b16a1 with b16b cams, spring and retainers otherwise standard internals,

he is using a walbro fuel pump, cant remember what size

he is using a crx gt35 turbo from turbotechnics (not alot of lag as he gets full boost at around 3.5k), blox cast manifold, FMIC, tial wastegate (again cant remember what size) and a 2.5" full exhaust system

he got it mapped and put it on the rollers and made 233bhp and 190 lb of torque running at 6psi (not advised to go any higher than 6 psi with standard internals)

he fitted all this himself but did have to grind away at the front of the block so the turbo would fit and i think he had to do a bit of cutting to the front end for the intercooler pipes to go through

also i have heard that you are best to use b18c4 cams for a turbo set up, apparantly make good power using them :)

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
wickermonkey said:
Sorry to hijack your thread but it is the sort of on the same wavelength

Would this be the same for a supercharger? I've read somewhere on a civic forum that SC's cause less stress on the engine due to the power being a steady increase and not a massive burst with turbo's
I do believe that most SCs setups only have a working pressure of about 4psi and do have a smoother more progressive power delivery as they are engage all through the rev range.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
spoons said:
honda VTEC engines are built high compression pistons as they are NA a turbo engine needs low comp pistons and that is totally different to the honda one, sticking a blower on a B with standard internals will end in tears dude, but it is possible.
Exactly, I blew my D16 head gasket with only 5psi of boost, it lasted about three months and ran really well but ended up in a costly rebuild which is still going on, the extra power will find any weakness on your car very quickly, I'm now dealing with clutch and gearbox probs.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
You can't just say 'oh x engine will handle y PSI of boost' there are a lot of variables that go with this (size of the turbo guys?!) Its more how much BHP stock internals will handle before they blow.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
^No thats true, but with turbos they are so easily adjusted / spiked, I pushed mine a bit too hard, took my foot of the throttle at top revs and I think it went lean, detonation occurred and as you know its all about heat with turbos the higher the compression ratio the higher the temperatures attained under boost.

Mine was not a mechanical failure as in the strength of the engine, it found the weakest point in the head gasket, I was going to replace the gasket with a cometic one until a friend of mine who builds / repairs dragsters said "that will blow again because of the high ratio pistons and by the way I bet you have damaged the rings or the lands" (I told him he was a smart arse later).

So when I took the head off we dropped the sump and pistons, my gasket had blown between #2 & #3 also into the water jacket, one piston had the top ring in three pieces and both #2 & #3 had about six cracks we could see between them.

But it would not stop me doing it again or encouraging anyone else to try because everytime I take my car out it puts a smile on my face.... all I'm saying is be prepared.... it will cost sooner or later, good luck.

·
Registered
770 Posts
did you repalce your HG and use performance studs/bolts before going turbo?

im going to be running my stock D16 between 10 and 12 psi to make 200whp and all im doing is replacing the blots and a new OE head gasket.

your not running an EMS are you though?

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
No, first of all I ran it stock @ 3 PSI, then increased to 5 PSI and my HG lasted about three months, made loads of power though.

I later replaced my HG using a Cometic 0.51" to help compensate for anything taken off the head and drop compression by a bit more, with pistons, H rods and ARP bolts, I am only running 10 PSI now and have done second & third synchro in my box, hence rebuild and need for LSD.

I have received my Fidanza 8lb flywheel & clutch assy last week from the states, it should take about 285 BHP.... then when the trans is done its bigger injectors and maybe 17 - 20 PSI for me

no EMS at present!

·
Registered
770 Posts
a built bottom end on a D will hold 400whp and then the sleeves give in. im going to build an engine next year.

what rods/pistons you running? and what EMS are you planning to run?

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Vitara 8.4 : 1 with full floating small ends, chrome rings & Eagle H beam rods (which have been drilled as per originals to cool the bottom of piston crown) good for 350 apparently, not decided on EMS yet!

·
Registered
770 Posts
i know of people running that bottom end at over 500whp no problems dude. how much did it cost? you install it all yourself?

build your head and find out what the most power you can make on 99oct ron.

ive been looking into EMS for about 6 months now and the most viable option is hondata S300 by a long way, there are a few tuners running crome aswel though.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
yeah.... I think I like the Hondata route, totally built by myself with the help of a friend whom had access to a couple of four post lifts.

How much? don't realy want to think about it!!!

but if I had to put a price on it... just the engine..... £1500.00 easy, without the clutch kit.... probably more like 2k & I've still got to build the box, bigger injectors, hondata? (I bought everything from the states as well!).

Ain't included any engineering (like Honing, notching bores and crank cradle to get H beams to fit) mine or me mates mark's time and labour.

·
Registered
770 Posts
im getting all my major components from the states, did you get stung on import duty?

i have full access to my dads garage so i have my own 4 poster and all the tools, ive read all i can on notching the block and cradle and it looks pretty easy.

i've had a quote on S300 at £650 for the unit, install and full dyno tune.

just waiting on my turbo setup to arrive atm.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Toyota and Renault have produced big gains from 1.3 & 1.4 engines, you can "strap" them to anything if you put your mind to it, read up about Stanza's 1.3 with about 135BHP!

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
clinchy said:
im getting all my major components from the states, did you get stung on import duty?

i have full access to my dads garage so i have my own 4 poster and all the tools, ive read all i can on notching the block and cradle and it looks pretty easy.

i've had a quote on S300 at £650 for the unit, install and full dyno tune.

just waiting on my turbo setup to arrive atm.
Sounds like you got the facilities, what I tried to do was get most suppliers to list lower invoice values, I've found if your seller uses Fedex, UPS they are less likely to charge duties, if it comes through USPS and then Parcel Force (Royal Mail) they tend to be more diligent, a bit too job worths.... if you believe that!! (And a big hello & no offence to all you posties out there :D )

1 - 20 of 28 Posts