Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
jus bought a 92 EG9, had a water leak so got it cheap, put a new thermostat in it and seems to hav cured it. the car has coverd 162900 miles and was running well til the other day, i degreased the engine bay and powerwashed it, car ran fine all that morning, then got in to it later on and it started fine, after warming up to nearly the halfway mark on the water temp guage, it started to run on 3 cylinders. after a few miles it kinda cleared but wasnt 100%. then 2day when i started it from cold it ran ok, drove 4 a mile and stopped to put petrol in, when i started it again it ran on 3 again, i had 2 drive around trip of 15 miles and it was only on 3 when i knocked it off again. surely if it was damp it woulda dried out by now, starting 2 wonder if the head gasket has gone?? wot shud i check first? thers no oil in the water or vice versa, the heater still blows hot aswell. is ther any weak spots that i shud check 1st on these cars?? all comments or advice are welcome!!

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
hi
first you should never pressure wash engine bays that was your first mistake and probably the cause of your problems ,
you probably have water in the distrubuter cap and what happens is it creates condensation in the cap when the engine warms up hence its not there cold
take the cap off clean and dry it out also clean all the plug wires then when you have dried it all out spray it with wd40 in the cap and over the leads ,
try that it will hopefully be your problem
and dont pressure washer your engine bay again it causes no end of problems with the H/T side of thing and electrical connections in general.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have pressure washed my engine before, and know quiet alot of folk ok PUK that do it to.

Aslong as you use common sense and cover all electrical parts with bags and connectors with duck oil or simaler and do it from a safe distance obv not blasting it from CM's away then it should be fine imo.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
you do what you like ,
but dont recomend it to people i see the causes of it long term as well as short term ,
and this post is a perfect example of why not to,
with all the sensors on cars these days you have to be daft to pressure wash your engine ,
especially with everything working with small voltage tolerances its the cause of a lot of manegment problems and car faults.
you pressure wash your bay if you like i was just giving my profesional opinion
take it or leave it i dont really mind .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers lads, il do the dizzy cap 2day and see how it goes! the vauxhalls i had were all fine after gettin a quick blast, prob due to the lack of plugs and sensors! ill not be doin the honda again with ant pressure, jus a garden hose from now on!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
dizzys on B series are a common fault, easy enough to source and replace, as for pressure washing your bay, i have done mine a few times, and as above jus use plastic bags and common sense and u will be fine. :cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the problem sorted lads, took the plug leads out and blew out the holes. the previous owner had, for some unknown reason, put some ******* roll in the holes where the plug leads go, this then kept the moisture in the plug bores! no more pressure washing 4 me, ill jus use a sponge and hose from now on!! :D :D

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
glad you got it sorted m8!!

btw where abouts in northern ireland are u from, im from bangor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts