Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 civic vti which has covered 134k miles. It's my everyday car and is running fine but at some point in the future I want to rebuild the engine. It doesn't burn oil or lose water yet. I want to know what are the typical components people replace when rebuilding. I presume things like valve stem seals and piston rings and what else?

·
Registered
381 Posts
if you are going to have the engine rebuilt, get hold of a full gasket set and change all seals etc, have the block checked and honed if required, new valve stem seals, re-seat the valves, piston rings, oil pump, water pump, timing belt and auxillary belts

now this may seem alot but i wouldnt build an engine and only replace half the parts, i wouldnt like to built it and start it to find out that something i didnt replace is on its way out, not worth the risk or aggro

oh would also replace the clutch and release bearing

hth

·
Registered
280 Posts
You might as well sell the civic and get another civic instead of doing all that work.

Thats what I would do, but it's your decision.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Civic Ep3 said:
You might as well sell the civic and get another civic instead of doing all that work.

Thats what I would do, but it's your decision.
i know what your saying but you could buy more problems there is a satisfaction in knowing the engines right and you have rebuilt it to a good standard ,
if the shells good it a good project todo if there are any issues with rust etc im with Civic Ep3 .

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
As above^ If you are rebuilding yourself then it may be worth it.... if you are paying someone for a rebuild then it might need some further thought.

·
Registered
149 Posts
134k miles is just run in. A2's will go double that before needing looked at.

If its just for experience of rebuilding, get a spare and tinker with that, or swap yours out and fit a temp engine in its place, while you rebuild.

If you do go ahead, do it slowly and use plenty of oil and thread-lock (Loctite). New shells, all bolts, water pump, cam belt, oh and paint the block too, silver would be good in case you get any oil leaks then you can see it easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts