Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi troops iv just bought a 98 ek vti its pretty much standard except wheels, suspension and exhaust. i want to eventually turbo the beast and want to know the best way to go about this, basically how i can be preparing the engine to be turbo'd in the future.
Also - when it starts, oil takes a second or 2 to reach round the whole engine so it makes a small cam tick, even though i flushed the engine before changing the oil. is this common? should it worry me?
thanx for any help in advance

Edit:

ps. after turbo i would be looking for around 300 bhp idealy CHEERS

·
Registered
148 Posts
The slight tick is probably valve adjustment, easy fix, follow Hayes manual or search for a guide online.

If you OEM engine is good, choose a decent quality turbo kit like the go-autoworks, Fuel Injectors, Fuel pump, ECU and harness, proper tuning ( contact me ) and you can make over 300bhp at about 9-10psi with a fair size turbo. 3" exhaust is a must.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds good. but what about engine internals? and is that all part of the kit of will i need to source individual parts?

·
Registered
148 Posts
300bhp is easily achieved with the OEM internals. I have been running near 350bhp for over a year. Rebuild if/when neccessary.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can they be suitable for everyday use?? would boost control be an option for everyday use to turn it down?? i really dont know much about whats possible

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes mate, they can be reliable, i suggest a 7psi wastegate spring that you run everyday, and a Profec B Spec 2 setup for 9psi. Run it while you save for a built bottom end. 7psi should net 260-280bhp with the correct setup.

Craig

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah! sounds good 2 me mate :) what else can be done to ensure maximum reliabilty? will buying a more expensive turbo kit make it that bit more reliable??

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well obviously directly it wont make the engine more reliable, but for example a cheapo wastegate could creep/spike and cause engine failure. If you want ultimate reliability leave everything the way Honda intended ; )

ARP head bolts are a good idea, but make sure you change the headgasket at the same time.

ITR cams make good power with this sort of setup too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah thats a fair point mate. Honda knows!!! reducing the chances of engine failure is the kind of thing what im talking about, how else can parts of the turbo kit fail? thanks for all your help mate. i will be contacting you in the near future regarding tuning

·
Registered
148 Posts
Cheapo turbo oil seals fail, intercooler design not as efficient, BOV leaks, Manifolds cracking, poor fitting quality, poor downpipe fitment/quality. Theres a reason the good parts cost more.

Something to consider if you are that concerned about engine failure would be water/meth injection, i have been running a meth setup for a while now and while it doesnt release much more power, i like the idea of having the extra octane boost, and the charge temps drop quicker.

If you have the budget, a piston and rod combo built correctly is a good option. Doesnt mean the OEM engine cant make good power and still be reliable if tuned correctly. The major cause of engine failure when turbocharging is lack of proper tuning, the piston ringlands are considered the weak point and any detonation can break them. New engine builds that are run on a 'basemap' for any length of time often use alot of oil. Basmaps tend to run very rich and on a newly built engine this causes the piston rings not to seat and break in correctly (bore wash). Other potential problems when pushing the OEM engine include the possibility of the head lifting abve 350bhp or so.

There are alot of things to consider, i have personally built several different turbo setups, and mapped many more. There is no point going into this with a limited budget and expecting complete reliability. I'd budget 2500-3k for everything needed including fab work, exhaust, fuelling, tuning, clutch, etc etc, built engine more again. It can be done cheaper, but then people wonder why it doesnt make the power they expect, and why components keep failing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i wouldnt want to be making it TOO powerful because i cant see my self goin with forged parts with regards to engine internals. 280 bhp max.
Been looking at rev-hard turbo kits, are these good quality kits?? what type of ecu should i be looking at??
Also with regards to the valve adjustment are these not hydraulic on b16a2??? thats just what my mate is saying im not sure tho.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mechanical valve adjustment, basically a locknut and screw adjuster, easy to set but follow Haynes manual for clearances.

Nothing wrong with the RevHard kits exept the price, you can gt better for less, take a look at the go-autoworks kits.

Craig Shiraz

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah i was looking at go-autoworks kits look like high quality stuff. i seen revhard kits at decent prices including injectors ecu n stuff thats why i was asking. buddyclub head gasket with arp head bolts a gd idea? also where abouts are you based mate? cheers bud.

·
Registered
148 Posts
OEM h/g only accomodate certain bore sizes, for example if you had a sleeved B16 with a 85mm bore you would probably need to use an aftermarket headgasket with the matching bore size.

If you have an OEM bottom end use a OEM h/g.

·
Registered
70 Posts
hey guys read your post. im after the same sort of help. got a b16a2 standard internals and want to keed it that way. im only looking for a low blow setup (200-250 bhp max) and on a tight budjet. i was thinking of sourcing seperate parts. and going for standard parts from other turbo cars like intercooler, injectors (H22a prefferably) and so on. can you give me any advice, list of parts other than above stated please.
regards,
Rich.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi rich2757

you'll need a basic turbo kit i.e charge piping, turbo of your choice i recommend internal wastegate, manifold stick with cast cheaper and better than xs power crap, turbo down pipe depending on your turbo can be a v-band, 5 bolt, 4 bolt. oil feeds, oil cooler kit, intercooler,injectors i.e 440cc, ecu and remap. or can use the afc hack but not recommended.

so basically get saving cos the remapping will kill your wallet

·
Registered
70 Posts
thanks is there any other little bits and bobs I may need? and I dont mind spending on the tuning and turbo. its always safe to spend on the turbo and I think the tuning is evrything for a car tbh :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts