Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if there are any mechanics on the forum or anyone who could help with this.

Basically I bought my EK from a trader who gave me an NCT (MOT) pass guarantee and a 6 months parts and labour guarantee. The car failed it's NCT on an oil leak which meant that he was responsible for getting it repaired. To cut a long story short he's been very hard to get hold of and I've had the repairs caried out by a local garage and I've now got to try and get the money refunded by the trader.

The work it had done was replacing the rocker cover gasket and the oil seals so can anybody give me a rough price for what the work should really cost (including labour). I know he's gonna try and pay me less so a few more opinions as to the cost would help a lot, cheers. The car is a JDM Vti EK3 with a D15B engine if that helps :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have it in writing but I've had the repairs carried out at my own choice of garage rather than his. I'm not really sure that I've been charged a fair price so wanted to gather some opinions on cost before I go back to the trader. I can put a claim in if it comes to it but I'd rather get it sorted out quickly and easily.

I got charged 200 euros which is around £155, does that sound like a fair price for the work?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Paul

I had an idea that they might have charged me a bit much and didn't want to look like a muppet by demanding too much from the trader

·
Registered
780 Posts
when you say trader, do you mean a garage fourecourt or a trade dealer?

the latter being the guy whos buys part ex cars and sells them to garages, if so as you don't pay VAT on these prices and technically its illegal, they by law don't include and after sales, and aren't covered by any ruels or regulations.

if you bought it off a garage fourecourt, no matter how small or large the company is then yes by law they will have to pay you the total of your bill. the fact that you tried to contact them and couldn't, then had to get it fixed at a different garage is there fault (saying that the oil was coming out faster then you could put it in, wouldn't go amiss with this statement lol), so they have to pay you in full the amount that you paid to fix the car, even if this is more then they reckon the cost should be (yeah 200E is a bit steep, they must have changed more seals then they said to warrant that, or used gold plated parts)

hope this isn't too confusing and helps a little.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought it from a dealer who imports cars from Japan under a registered company name so not a trade dealer.

Just to update I e-mailed him and he said it was steep but that he'd refund me the full amount which was a better response than I was expecting. Cheque hasn't arrived yet but hopefully come in the post next week :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts