Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my alternator and speeo sensor fuse keeps blowing, ive disconnected the speedo sensor and it works for about a trip to the shop and when i got to turn on the car back on ive got no battery light again, its doing my head in!!! but if i leave the car still with the engine on it doesnt blow............ :question: i left it for an hour last night and when i checked it, it was fine :question: :question:

*note for admin: not sure if this is meant to be in here or interior*

·
Registered
770 Posts
well the reason things normally blow a fues is because live is being earthed out on the chassis. or a big increase in voltage. have you checked your altenator and battery yet?

have you checked ALL the fuses in the car and in the engine bay?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for quick reply,

No i havent checked all the fuses, ill do that next, the battery was charging when left still but whenever i try to drive it for a while the fuse blows,

im realy confused though because when i first replaced the fuse and disconnected the speedo sensor i drove the car around a nearby roundabout a few times, checked the fuse and it was fine............. :question: :question:

Edit:

checked ALL the fuses and it only the alternaotr & speedo one thts blown..............

any help guys?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Might seem like a silly idea but have you checked the fuses you are putting in are the right ones?

Also check all your earths, take them off give them a wire brush over and put them back on again.

Do you have any ICE installed at all dodgy wiring on this could be creating surging voltages in other things.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
- ive only been replacing the one fuse, and ive put the right ones in
- yes ive got ICE, but i had it in a while before this happened?
- where are ALL the earths??

·
Registered
770 Posts
earths are everywhere, the main one comes off the negative terminal of the battery to the chassis, theres a big one coming off the chassis on the tranny, clean them and cover them in grease and it might help.

have you cheacked all the terminals on the altenator?

·
Registered
770 Posts
the alternator is behind the right side of the engine near the battery, it is driven by a belt.

there will be a large live cable running up to the battery from it so check all the shielding and terminals and if possible remove the terminals, clean and grease.
do the same with the negitive cable.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they were both already greased so i just checked that they were secure, what should i check next?

- also my problems started after i was wheel spinning like a chav i kno lol, but just incase it helps...........

Edit:

i bought a multimeter today and checked the voltge, when the cars sat still and turned on (obviously) it around 14.2v - 14.5v and thats with my lights on high beam, heating on, aircon, cd player etc, so im thinking that my problem is when the car is actualy moving?..... a lose wire or connection maybe?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i found the large on, but couldnt find the small one, but then again its dark and in new to the engine bay lol, so is that what you think it is?

Edit:

any pics of what i should be looking for?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ye spose, ill have a look tomorrow in the day light,

- whats the best way to get at the alternator?
- what exactly am i looking for? a bare wire? a loose conection?
- is there any thing else i should look for while im there?

sorry for all the questions lol, every1 needs to learn :mrgreen:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok thanks bud, whats the best wat for me to get to alternators connections? is there any stickys about them, or any pictures? i dont realy know what im looking at :redface:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts