Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's only a matter of time before someone comes on asking about those eBay tuning chips that can "Add 20+ BHP", so I thought id write an article on it now to save the time later.

So What Do They Do?
Well, one thing they don't do is either chip or tune your engine. Only a proper ECU chip, tuned to your specific engine can do that, something like Hondata.

What they are is a resistor. A simple electronic resistor like below, which can be bought from somewhere like Maplin for around £0.50.

This resistor slows down (resists) the signals being sent from your engine to your ECU, in order to give it false information. This false information includes the temperature of the air going past the air temperature sensor. It tells the ECU that this air is colder than it really is. As I explain here, the colder the air the denser it is, and so theoretically the more oxygen it holds. Oxygen makes the mixture of petrol and air burn better, so cold air is good.

So, with the ECU thinking that the air is colder and with more oxygen, it happily provides more petrol to the engine. More petrol than is actually needed by your engine. You may notice a slight power improvement, although often the opposite is true.

So Why Is This Bad?
Well here are just a few of the problems that can be caused by the wrong amount of petrol being fed into your engine:
- Detonation: Early combustion of fuel in the cylinder before the spark plug has had a chance to fire.
- Lumpy Idle: Your engine's idle speed surging up and down.
- Bore Wash: Excessive petrol gets into the cylinders and stops the piston rings from sealing.
- High Emissions: To much exhaust gases which you will fail your MOT for.
- Low Mileage: Your petrol tank will not take you as far.

Convinced Yet?
Well, you should be. eBay "tuning chips" cause no end of trouble, and are to be steered well clear of.

Hope this article helped.

·
Registered
780 Posts
having said that, we are running tests on these so called chips at uni atm!!

people are always asking about them so we've bought a couple of them and are trying them on an EF civic.

i shall keep you informed on our findings, good or bad, probably bad but its worth being sure :cool:

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
i should just stay clear of them , follow my general thoughts "if its to good to be true it probably is "
i have to pick alecs post up on two things detonation (ie pinking) is caused by miss timing of valves or ignition timing normally the later , also low octane fuel which most is below par these days hence we have knock sensors to retard the timing for us to prevent detonation (pinking) ,not overfuelling
also bore wash will not stop the rings sealing it will wear the bores prematurely by washing the lubrication out of the bores :(
but the rest of it is bang on :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
cheers m8 thought it was 2 good 2 b true, but wanted 2 be sure, can you recomend anything 2 improve performance a little, i have an 02 reg 1.4i 3dr, (1st ever honda, plan 2 stick with them now, finally found a quality car) thanks.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
strip all excess weight from the car. its the cheapest way to improve performance. also i reccommend looking at skinny girls too, not only are they hot and look great naked, but they weigh less too :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
stug45 said:
strip all excess weight from the car. its the cheapest way to improve performance. also i reccommend looking at skinny girls too, not only are they hot and look great naked, but they weigh less too :)
LMFAO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, to you all, I have seen various diesel chips advertised on ebay but I thought if any one knows which are good it will be you guys. Can anyone give me advice on whats the best method of improving preformance on my 2.2icdti honda. What do yous think about remapping and can any one reccomend a chip or remap to use, I live in Newcastle upon tyne. Thank you in advance for you help. David

·
Registered
148 Posts
You can have these models flashed, there are many companies in your area. I carry out this work but your are a bit far away from me.

·
Registered
373 Posts
oops this part too, and say the remapping of the ecu to take such things like air induction, stainless exhaust is stored on the sst chip??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts