Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to this forum, so hi :)

last night I bought a mint 01 plate EP3 Civic Type R. Drives the business! and looks fantastic so as you would imagine I have fallen madly inlove with her.

Although parking outside my house last night I locked the car entered my house walked upstairs dropped my kegs and the alarm goes off! So I frantically run downstairs run outside and manage to turn the alarm off. I repeatedly set the alarm (by locking the car) and it repeatedly went off after about 60 seconds of setting the alarm.

I have to add that the key fob is not very good as I have to press the button 2 or 3 times until the car actually unlocks. (could it be the battery in the key fob?)

Does anyone know where I should start to try and identify the problem. is it the key fob? the immobiliser? is it gona be expensive?? lol O and its not an aftermarket alarm its factory fitted.

the last point to make is that to resolve the alarm going off I resorted to locking the car by the drivers door using the key and not setting the alarm this therefore meant that I could have a nice peaceful sleep without fear of waking the neighboughs.

If anyone has any idea what this could be then please share.... thank you.

Regards.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
It could simply just be the fob battery needing to be replaced.

But it could also be the common issue with the pre-facelift's alarms - which were made by hamilton & palmer. Basically the circuit board located under the seat needs changing, which means you'd be sent new fobs as well. There's tons of info about it and various other alarm problems if you do a search over on the type r forum :thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Honda Civic ALARM PROBLEM PLEASE HELP (solved)

Solution to my Honda Alarm problem: My alarms keeps going off randomly after my battery went flat.

I own a 2002 Honda Civic Type-R EP3 (non facelift), and ever since my battery went flat my car alarm kept going off randomly when stationary. For some unknown reason I did not find any solution to this problem despite reading many blogs, so have decided to take matters into my own hands which had fixed the alarm from going off.

Step 1 - After reading various blogs someone posted that by replacing the alarm control board, it resolved the issue, so that is what I did. At this point I spent £200 on a new t2 control board (supplied by "http://www.hamilton-palmer.co.uk/") and £17 on a tamperproof driver which you will need to remove 2 tamperproof screws on the alarm box located under the drivers seat. (supplied by RS Components, part no: 4447891"http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/screwdrivers/4447891/"). Conclusion: This DID NOT make any difference in my case, alarm still going off randomly....ouch!

Step 2 - I have then decided to read the alarm manual (found at: http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/uploads/galle ... 381a15.pdf), and figured out the following:
a) when I lock my car using the remote the car was making a loud single beep, which indicated that something was open, aha...one step closer...!
b) As per the manual the car alarm also stores information on what triggered the alarm for the past 5 times, mine was "3 flashes in succession Bonnet opened". Please see appendix A below for more references.
c) At this point I removed and took apart the bonnet latch (2 bolts) and found a tiny blue sensor with a copper wire on it, which I bent a little (to make sure that contact was guarantied once bonnet was closed) and sprayed it with wd40 (magic in can). I then replaced the boot latch and re-adjusted it so that my bonnet was closing without any movement.
PROBLEM RESOLVED, NO MORE ALARM GOING OFF!

I now only wish I read the damn manual before I started spending any money as I believe that I could have saved myself a lot of time and money (£217).

Appendix A:
Alarm/Immobiliser Thatcham T2 Category I:
LAST 5 CIRCUITS TRIGGERED – DISPLAY MODE
The unit memorises the last 5 triggers that have taken place. They are displayed, most recent first.
Turn the ignition on and within 10 seconds press the raised button on the remote handset once and the
indented button 3 times, 4 presses in total.
The LED will remain on for 2 seconds and then flash the last 5 triggered circuits, spacing each event with a
pause in the flash count.
On completion, the LED will remain on for 2 seconds and then resume its normal operation. The following is
a key to the LED codes that could be displayed.
2 flashes in succession Door(s) opened
3 flashes in succession Bonnet opened
4 flashes in succession Boot opened
5 flashes in succession Ultrasonic triggered
6 flashes in succession Ignition turned on

I hope this information is useful, and good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

Wondering for some advice. I have had similar problems like yourselfs with my alarm for my ep3 2003 preface lift.

Seems to only happen with bad wind or rain and goes off, started last year. Alarm going off no one near it and the fobs where badly worn

Got to very bad stage that the car was totally immobilised that i had to get it Toed from my pals Jeep to Phoenix Honda at Linwood,Scotland.

Just 5 minutes ago found the invoice from them charging £300 in 25th August 2009, saying replaced alarm system and new fob and here we are again same problem. Since then on alarming or disarming the car only one hazard would flash to indicate it has been done, i was just happy that it unlocked and locked! Didnt want to make a fuss.

The fob again is badly worn so i have ordered new one off ebay £16! To unlock the car i have to use the key and once thats done the alarm starts going mental. Im hoping its the fob kit as i dont fancy going back up to Honda to be charge £300 again for something that shouldve been fixed in the first place.

But my problem is i love my car but with the alarm carry on over the years im wanting to get shot of it now as this is very off putting.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Your fob may have to be reprogrammed to work with your car.

These guides should help you do it:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=18671
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=730

This is basically what you tend to have to do when the battery runs out in the spare fob or there's a problem with them not working properly.

Hopefully it'll work for you... always good to exhaust every option before going back to the stealers :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone help i have a 51 plate civic type r,i have one alarm fob which works when i lock the car it makes i loud beep is this correct,also i ordered a new fob from palmer and harveys followed the procedure to link it to the car and nothing does'nt want to know.if anyone can help

·
Registered
3 Posts
neil1971 said:
Can anyone help i have a 51 plate civic type r,i have one alarm fob which works when i lock the car it makes i loud beep is this correct,also i ordered a new fob from palmer and harveys followed the procedure to link it to the car and nothing does'nt want to know.if anyone can help
Hi Neil1971, the loud beep means that the alarm thinks that something is open (i.e. Boot, Bonet or doors).

Please follow my advise posted above (step2) "Re: Honda Civic ALARM PROBLEM PLEASE HELP". Follow the step to first identify which lock is causing the issue. It's been over 1 year now and I haven't had any alarm problems since.

Appendix A:
(http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/uploads/gallery/1200883268/
gallery_32416_9299_5926276904796372381a15.pdf)

(I have copied and pasted the below from the link above)
Alarm/Immobiliser Thatcham T2 Category I:
LAST 5 CIRCUITS TRIGGERED – DISPLAY MODE
The unit memorises the last 5 triggers that have taken place. They are displayed, most recent first.
Turn the ignition on and within 10 seconds press the raised button on the remote handset once and the
indented button 3 times, 4 presses in total.
The LED will remain on for 2 seconds and then flash the last 5 triggered circuits, spacing each event with a
pause in the flash count.
On completion, the LED will remain on for 2 seconds and then resume its normal operation. The following is
a key to the LED codes that could be displayed.
2 flashes in succession Door(s) opened
3 flashes in succession Bonnet opened
4 flashes in succession Boot opened
5 flashes in succession Ultrasonic triggered
6 flashes in succession Ignition turned on

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Honda Civic ALARM PROBLEM PLEASE HELP (solved)

Very Useful !
In my case (on a 2005 Type R) the switch had partially failed, - it wasn't making a clean connection when closed (read about 130 Ohm on a meter). Given how awkward it is to fit a replacement switch, I have simply shorted to two wires together so the alarm now thinks the bonnet is permanently closed.

Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts