Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any ideas at what I might have to look at to stop my alarm going off for no reason?

It has only just started, mainly in the middle of the night but sometimes during the day, no one near the car as far as I have seen so far. It is driving my girlfriend to despair as she feels that it must be annoying all the neighbours.

Also, for the time being , is there a way of locking the car without activating the alarm?

It is a 2002 VTEC.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Use the keys to lock it I'd say. Does your alarm have sensors in the car or is it just a door monitoring alarm? Need some more info to be honest, I know a bit about alarms but not enough to know what you have in your car.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Effi, thanks for that.

There are two sensors at the front of the car like mini microphones. Just been to the Honda garage down the road and they reckon that it 'might' have something to do with the fact that the car was jump started some months ago and that has scrambled the software for the alarm. However the very nice mechanic man who took the time to talk to me couldn't give me any idea as to how much it would cost to have that remedial work done, and couldn't guarantee that it would solve the issue, and at 90 quid an hour labour I don't really want to keep having to take it back for another look.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Unfortunately it seems to be the way that Honda work, no matter what they never give you a figures it always "how long is a piece of string" kind of thing which I find very annoying. I also fail to understand how they feel there talents are worth £90 an hour when they guess at everything and never seem to actually know. I've just given up bothering with Honda for anything.

I wouldn't have thought it would have scrambled the software. Alarms are meant to deal with things like that as it seems at some point every car will need to be jumped. You may be better off having a word with some auto electricians as this is the kind of thing they deal with regularly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You talk a lot of sense.

Might stop off at my small local garage and ask them for their advice, they have never failed me yet.

Thanks for the time replying effi.

T

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Not a problem mate, I hope you get it sorted. I'd be interested to know what the problem is if they do manage to sort it for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Solution to my Alarm problem: My alarms keeps going off randomly after my battery went flat.

I own a 2002 Honda Civic Type-R EP3 (non facelift), and ever since my battery went flat my car alarm kept going off randomly when stationary. For some unknown reason I did not find any solution to this problem despite reading many blogs, so have decided to take matters into my own hands which had fixed the alarm from going off.

Step 1 - After reading various blogs someone posted that by replacing the alarm control board, it resolved the issue, so that is what I did. At this point I spent £200 on a new t2 control board (supplied by "http://www.hamilton-palmer.co.uk/") and £17 on a tamperproof driver which you will need to remove 2 tamperproof screws on the alarm box located under the drivers seat. (supplied by RS Components, part no: 4447891"http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/screwdrivers/4447891/"). Conclusion: This DID NOT make any difference in my case, alarm still going off randomly....ouch!

Step 2 - I have then decided to read the alarm manual (found at: http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/uploads/galle ... 381a15.pdf), and figured out the following:
a) when I lock my car using the remote the car was making a loud single beep, which indicated that something was open, aha...one step closer...!
b) As per the manual the car alarm also stores information on what triggered the alarm for the past 5 times, mine was "3 flashes in succession Bonnet opened". Please see appendix A below for more references.
c) At this point I removed and took apart the bonnet latch (2 bolts) and found a tiny blue sensor with a copper wire on it, which I bent a little (to make sure that contact was guarantied once bonnet was closed) and sprayed it with wd40 (magic in can). I then replaced the boot latch and re-adjusted it so that my bonnet was closing without any movement.
PROBLEM RESOLVED, NO MORE ALARM GOING OFF!

I now only wish I read the damn manual before I started spending any money as I believe that I could have saved myself a lot of time and money (£217).

Appendix A:
Alarm/Immobiliser Thatcham T2 Category I:
LAST 5 CIRCUITS TRIGGERED – DISPLAY MODE
The unit memorises the last 5 triggers that have taken place. They are displayed, most recent first.
Turn the ignition on and within 10 seconds press the raised button on the remote handset once and the
indented button 3 times, 4 presses in total.
The LED will remain on for 2 seconds and then flash the last 5 triggered circuits, spacing each event with a
pause in the flash count.
On completion, the LED will remain on for 2 seconds and then resume its normal operation. The following is
a key to the LED codes that could be displayed.
2 flashes in succession Door(s) opened
3 flashes in succession Bonnet opened
4 flashes in succession Boot opened
5 flashes in succession Ultrasonic triggered
6 flashes in succession Ignition turned on

I hope this information is useful, and good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aarrggh

Solution to my Alarm problem: My alarms keeps going off randomly after my battery went flat.

I own a 2002 Honda Civic Type-R EP3 (non facelift), and ever since my battery went flat my car alarm kept going off randomly when stationary. For some unknown reason I did not find any solution to this problem despite reading many blogs, so have decided to take matters into my own hands which had fixed the alarm from going off.

Step 1 - After reading various blogs someone posted that by replacing the alarm control board, it resolved the issue, so that is what I did. At this point I spent £200 on a new t2 control board (supplied by "http://www.hamilton-palmer.co.uk/") and £17 on a tamperproof driver which you will need to remove 2 tamperproof screws on the alarm box located under the drivers seat. (supplied by RS Components, part no: 4447891"http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/screwdrivers/4447891/"). Conclusion: This DID NOT make any difference in my case, alarm still going off randomly....ouch!

Step 2 - I have then decided to read the alarm manual (found at: http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/uploads/galle ... 381a15.pdf), and figured out the following:
a) when I lock my car using the remote the car was making a loud single beep, which indicated that something was open, aha...one step closer...!
b) As per the manual the car alarm also stores information on what triggered the alarm for the past 5 times, mine was "3 flashes in succession Bonnet opened". Please see appendix A below for more references.
c) At this point I removed and took apart the bonnet latch (2 bolts) and found a tiny blue sensor with a copper wire on it, which I bent a little (to make sure that contact was guarantied once bonnet was closed) and sprayed it with wd40 (magic in can). I then replaced the boot latch and re-adjusted it so that my bonnet was closing without any movement.

I now only wish I read the damn manual before I started spending any money as I believe that I could have saved myself a lot of time and money (£217).

Appendix A:
Alarm/Immobiliser Thatcham T2 Category I:
LAST 5 CIRCUITS TRIGGERED – DISPLAY MODE
The unit memorises the last 5 triggers that have taken place. They are displayed, most recent first.
Turn the ignition on and within 10 seconds press the raised button on the remote handset once and the
indented button 3 times, 4 presses in total.
The LED will remain on for 2 seconds and then flash the last 5 triggered circuits, spacing each event with a
pause in the flash count.
On completion, the LED will remain on for 2 seconds and then resume its normal operation. The following is
a key to the LED codes that could be displayed.
2 flashes in succession Door(s) opened
3 flashes in succession Bonnet opened
4 flashes in succession Boot opened
5 flashes in succession Ultrasonic triggered
6 flashes in succession Ignition turned on

I hope this information is useful, and good luck.
I've got an 03 type r that's doing the same thing! Just started beeping when I was locking the car, I'll have to take a look at the sensors and see if it solves the problem!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can also vouch for the bonnet sensor issue on my 05 executive during some really cold nights.

After a bit of research I tried disconnecting the same bonnet-open sensor by disconnecting the leads. Thankfully the alarm stopped triggering. Apparently this can be fixed properly by rebuilding the switch like you did, But I've not done this yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is fairly common on the vtec.
At our garage we have had quite a few in with random alarm activations.
I always start with the bonnet sensor, test it with a multimeter that the switch does open\close ok, then to the tailgate.
These are the 2 sensors that get shaken up more than the others as they close with more force, next move to drivers door, then passengers, just test the sensors with your multimeter for a good connection, plus that the plugs on nice and tight.
This can start for something as simple as someone slamming a door and the sensor plug shaking loose, do this first for yourself, if the sensor check ends doesnt help the car,,, then go to a garage as the module then needs checking.
The beep read code in the above answer is the only one there is, it has not been updated.
8 out of 10 times we have found out the bonnet or boot sensor has either been damaged or the leads are loose.

I normally yell at anyone who slams my doors,,, causes all kinds of problems with central locking, electric windows etc inside the doors

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alarm problems with Honda Civic 2008: Good Youtube Video To Fix it

I have noted that people here have asked questions about how to deal with false alarms with their Honda Civic 2008, which is a problem I also face. I discovered this Youtube video that specially addresses this issue:

Brian Ghilliotti

1 - 13 of 13 Posts