Honda Civic Forums banner

air leak

3K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  ryback 
#1 ·
well after testing my map sensor its fine, took the plastic hose off from the throttle body and covered the hole with my hand, and to my surprise the engine didn't cut out. so i have an air leak, cant hear anything though and tried wd40 but it didn't get sucked into the engine and burnt.

fingers crossed its just a gasket leaking, maybe the intake manifold gasket. anyone had similar problems and what else could be leaking???

#7 ·
yeah i know, its gotta be a huge leak but i cant hear anything. the suction on my hand was well a lot, so much so it hurt after a few seconds. when my engine is warm, its revving at 2k then cutting back to normal idle for a second and then picking up to 2k again.

#9 ·
i need to check the ecu tom. might even take it to my old work and get it hooked up to the computer. the idle dropped to bout 700rpm when i covered the tb.
while i'm poking about i think a carb clean cant do any harm either.
i thought with it cutting back down that was the ecu realising it was running fast to trying to correct it?

#11 ·
erm , i'm not mechanically minded at all, so you'll have to help me out a bit. i do have carb cleaner somewhere yes, not sure where the vac hose is or how to check the ecu for codes. i thik i need to find the sockets under the glove box and bridge them, then turn the ignition on and watch the lights. is that right?

engine code is erm d14a4 me thinks

#12 ·
no irl pull the vac hose off my engine to cause a vac leak and see if it hunt like urs is.

yea its in a bright green rubbery case, its a pain in the arse to find, and yea you check like u sed but make sure its the two pin plug and not the three.

basically it will do a series of long flashes which are the 10's and a series of short flashes which are the units.

so 4 long flashes followed by 3 short is code 43.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.