Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm borrowing a friends 1.5 hatch and ther are a few issues I'd like to sort on it as a thank you for lending it to me and I hope someone can help. :)

1. The battery light is always on, a suspect a dodgy earth or somthing as it doesn't seem to be discharging the battery at all but if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

2 The fuel consumption isn't great, not is it normal to get through £15 to do 100 miles? It just seems a bit thirsty for what it is.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
what year civic is it?
I have a 92-95 EG and im pretty sure theres no battery light :S

And the fuel consumption is shockingly bad for the small engines. Is it a vtec??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

It's a 94 non Vtec and I had an idea that bad fuel consumption was a standard feature!

Theres definitley a battery light as this one is always on! o_O

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it should but it doesn't, I haven't checked the battery voltage yet though, what shold the alternator be kicking out when running, around 13.5 - 14V?

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Skinny said:
what year civic is it?
I have a 92-95 EG and im pretty sure theres no battery light :S

And the fuel consumption is shockingly bad for the small engines. Is it a vtec??
mate there has to be a battery light the field windings are initially supplied via the ignition switch and charge warning light, which is why the light glows when the ignition is on but the engine is not running. Once the engine is running and the alternator is generating, a diode feeds the field current from the alternator main output, this equalizing the voltage across the warning light which goes out. The wire supplying the field current is referred to as the energizer wire. The drawback of this arrangement is that if the warning light fails or the energizer wire is disconnected, no priming current reaches the alternator field windings and so the alternator will not generate any power. However, some alternators will self-excite when the engine is revved to a certain speed. The driver may check for a faulty exciter-circuit by ensuring that the warning light is glowing with the engine stopped. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts