Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it was about time one of these was made as the 7th Gen one is proving to be pretty useful :thumbup:

My knowledge is a little rusty on them compared to what it used to be (comes with being on my 2nd 7th Gen lol) so I'll be asking for your input along the way if you can fill in any of the missing information :)

Oh and big thanks to Squirrelking for the epic layout of the 7th Gen FAQ which I pretty much copied word for word for use in this one!

What's my body code?

The following body codes apply regardless of trim level:

3 door

EJ9 - 1.4i
EK3 - 1.5i LS
EK4 - 1.6 VTi
EK9 - 1.6i Type R (import only)

Those missing that we don't tend to have in this country: EJ4, EK1, EK2, EK5, EK6, EK7.

5 door

MA8 - 1.4i
MA9 - 1.5i
MB1 - 1.6i
MB2 - 1.4i
MB3 - 1.5i
MB4 - 1.6i
MB6 - 1.8 VTi
MB7 - 2.0 TDi
MB8 - 1.4i
MB9 - 1.5i aerodeck
MC1 - 1.6i aerodeck
MC2 - 1.8 VTI aerodeck
MC3 - 1.4i aerodeck

A link to more detailed information on the various engine types and years of cars they were fitted to: http://civic5.com/modelcodes-ma-mb-mc-civics.html

Coupé

EJ6 - 1.6i
EJ8 - 1.6i SR
EM1 - 1.6 VTi

Where was my car built?

The general consensus is that hatchbacks and saloons (4 doors) were built in Japan, coupé's in the US and MA/MB/MC's in the UK.

In order to identify your manufacturing origin you simply check the first two letters of your chassis number:

JH - Japanese built
SH - Swindon built
** - US built

Can any coupé owners confirm whether or not some or all of them were built in the US? And if so, how to determine that?

What is my trim level?

There were many different trim levels available over the years, including various 'special edition' models, but the main/most common ones are the LS, SE, Sport, VTi, VTiS and Type R. Others include Tornado, Hawaii and Tropica - all of which were variations of the 1.4i EJ9.

The Jordan - this was basically a special edition EK4 VTi with yellow paint, a Jordan 'hornet' logo to the rear and Eddie Jordan's signature on each side, black and yellow leather interior (with Jordan 'hornet' logos on the front 2 seats), Jordan branded carpet mats and a carbon effect gear-knob. They were numbered from 1-500 (although 5 prototypes also ended up being sold off and are perhaps also still in existence). They came with the VTi front lip and an EK9 rear lip as standard.

The VTiS - 200 3 door EK4's were made in 1998 on an 'R' plate and 500 MB6/MC2's were made from 1998-2000.

The EK4 version came with starlight black paint and enkei alloy wheels as standard, as well as a rear boot spoiler and VTiS carpet mats inside. The MB6/MC2 versions were the same but instead had pirates black paint.

Both the 3 door and 5 door VTiS models also included a full lip kit (front/rear/sideskirts) as standard. These were more pronounced than those fitted on the VTi and Type R models.

There's more info here on the VTiS differences here: http://www.civic-vtis.co.uk/history.php

Honda mistakenly registered various other models as being VTi-S' when they in fact weren't. This is why many people are convinced their car is a VTiS, even though it could be a different colour entirely - and even a Jordan.

Type R (EK9) - This was import only and came in either Championship White, Vogue Silver, Sunlight Yellow or Starlight Black. They had a 1.6i B16B engine producing 185bhp and most came with red or black Recaro seats. They also had aluminium gear-knobs, a darker chrome insert on the headlights (which were manual rather than electrically operated), red carpet/door-cards, power folding mirrors (facelift RX model only I think) and a 5x114.3 stud-pattern with 15" wheels as standard. There were various other differences, including a different centre console and a carbon-effect dial-surround.

There was also a 'race-base' model which was designed to be bought by teams intending to use them as race cars, which came with very little in the way of creature-comforts and the same seats as the EJ9/EK3's had inside.

EK9 owners can fill in the missing information here if they want - just post it below and I'll add it.

Interior specifications - MA/MB/MC models had cloth trim except the VTi/VTiS which had half leather on the seats - and ES models had full leather. Leather was an optional extra on all other cars and remains pretty rare/sought after. Everything else is listed above/below (see 'Is my car a facelift or pre-facelift?'). Anything below the EK4 had a grey dash/door-cards and the EK4/EK9 both had black ones. Coupé's all had grey interiors.

If anyone has any more detailed information on these please post it below :)

What engine do I have?

EJ9 - 1.4i - Pre-facelift - D14A4 (88bhp) / Facelift - D14Z2 (89bhp)
EK3 - 1.5 iLS - D15Z6 VTEC-E (113bhp)
EK4 - 1.6 VTi - B16A2 (158bhp) - import SiR B16A (168bhp)
EK9 - 1.6i Type R - B16B (185bhp)

MA8 - 1.4i - D14A2 (90bhp)
MA9 - 1.5i - D15Z3 (90bhp)
MB1 - 1.6i - D16Y2 & 3 (125bhp)
MB2 - 1.4i - D14A7-8 - D14Z3-4 (90bhp)
MB3 - 1.5i - D15Z8 VTEC-E (115bhp)
MB4 - 1.6i - D16B2 (1997-1998) / D16W3-4 (1999-2000) (114bhp)
MB6 - 1.8 VTi - B18C4 (169bhp)
MB7 - 2.0 TDi - 20T2N (1997-1998) (86bhp) / 20T2R (1999-2000) (105bhp)
MB8 - 1.4i - D14A8 / D14Z4 (90bhp)
MB9 - 1.5i aerodeck - D15Z8 VTEC-E (114bhp)
MC1 - 1.6i aerodeck - D16B2 (1997-1998) / D16W3-4 (1999-2000) (115bhp)
MC2 - 1.8 VTI aerodeck - B18C4 (169bhp)
MC3 - 1.4i aerodeck - D14A8 / D14Z4 (90bhp)

EJ6 - 1.6i - D16Y7 (107bhp)
EJ8 - 1.6i SR - D16Y8 (128bhp)
EM1 - 1.6 VTi - B16A2 (158bhp)

Is my car a facelift or pre-facelift?

TBA

Can I mix these body parts?

TBA

What colour is my car?

B-73M - Cyclone Blue
B-74P - Adriatic Blue
B-77P - Orleans Blue
B-81M - Comet Blue
B-90P - Super Sonic Blue Pearl
B-95P - Electron Blue Pearl
B-96P - Eternal Blue Pearl
BG-28P - Tahitian Green Pearl
BG-45M - Aqua Mint Opal Metallic
G-82P - Cypress Green
G-86P - Baikal Green
G-95P - Clover Green Pearl
NH-0 - Championship White
NH-503P - Granada Black
NH-538 - Frost White
NH-575M - Thunder Grey Metallic
NH-578 - Taffeta White
NH-583M - Vogue Silver Metallic
NH-592P - Starlight Black
NH-614M - Titan Silver
NH-617M - Lightning Silver
NH-623M - Satin Silver Metallic
PB-74P - Dark Amethyst Pearl
R-81 - Milano Red
R93-P Matador Red
R95-P - Island Coral Pearl
R-96P - Inza Red Pearl
R502 - Vesuvio Red
R500P - Sicilian Red
R-504P - Ruby Red
R-505P - Burning Red Pearl
Y-56 - Phoenix / Sunlight Yellow
YR-523M - Champagne Beige Metallic
YR-525M - Titanium Metallic

If you're unsure of which yours is, there should be a sticker showing the colour code in the passenger side door jam of your car.

What's my service schedule?

TBA - Need help on this one.

What bulbs do I need?

Main/Full beam - H4
Sidelights - 501
Front indicators -
Fog lights -
Side repeaters -
Rear indicators -
Rear fog light -
Brake light -
Reverse light -
Numberplate lights - 501
Interior light (front/middle) -
Boot light -
Gearbox light -
Dash bulbs -

I need info from people on whether Honda changed any of these for the facelift models - and also if MB/MC's had anything different.

What should my tyre pressures be?

What size of tyres do I need?

What's my 0-60 time?

Due to the huge list and amount of variables I'll just link this to Parkers, firstly hatchback (includes MA/MB models), coupé, saloon and the aerodeck. The Type R is obviously an import and isn't listed on Parkers, but having seen the 0-60 time of 5.8s posted on various forums over the years I'm going to assume it's that. Although I have heard that's the 'race-base' version, which is a more stripped out version without Recaro's and air-con, etc.

What's my insurance group?

Due to the huge list and amount of variables I'll just link this to Parkers, firstly hatchback (includes MA/MB models), coupé, saloon and the aerodeck. The Type R is obviously an import and isn't listed on Parkers, so I'm assuming this one will be down to each individual insurance company's own figures.

Please note: groupings are based on the new system.

Where can I find my service manual?

Here - http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Info still needed:

Where was my car built? - Can any coupé owners confirm whether or not some or all of them were built in the US? And if so, how to determine that?

What's my service schedule? - Need a copy of the list as found in service books if anyone has it.

What should my tyre pressures be? - This should be listed in a brochure or accessories book if anyone has one of those? Or if anyone can check the sticker in the door jam of their cars and post up the information from it?

What size of tyres do I need? - This should also be found on the sticker in the door jam or in brochures/accessories books.

What bulbs do I need? - Need pretty much all of these as you can see above. Specifically if any of them changed on the facelift's and MB/MC models.

1.4i EJ9 Hawaii model - Parkers says it's got 74bhp - does anyone have one? Can you confirm which engine it has in it?

I'll add in more myself later on if/when I have time to, been sitting here for a few hours doing this now and my back is beginning to hurt. Lol

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks to everyone that helped with the chassis plate and where 6th gens were built :) I've added a bit in about it - I just need to know the code that shows at the start of the chassis number on a coupé built in America now!

Also still need confirmation on what bulbs they all have...

I've put in what I think they are, I just need someone to confirm them:

Main/Full beam - H4
Sidelights - 501
Front indicators - 581 PY21W
Fog lights - H3
Side repeaters - 501
Rear indicators - 581 PY21W
Rear fog light - 382 P21W
Brake light - 380 P21/5W
Reverse light - 382 P21W
Numberplate lights - 501
Interior light (front/middle) -
Boot light -
Gearbox light -
Dash bulbs -

And I just realised I didn't mention above that in an effort to keep the topic clean (and to make sure the first post is the only one that includes the information) I'll be removing any posts discussing things after we get it sorted :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Loads more colour codes and more detailed information on the various trim levels added! - Thanks to dave-civic for the extra info on the VTiS models.

Still need what's in the list above! Really interested in getting the bulb types confirmed - if anyone can help with that I'd be most grateful :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
sorry to be a nuisance but i own a ek4 vti and it doesnt have the same interior as stated! mine has greyish seats and door cards but with some strange colour bits on them like purples n stuff cant think off the top of my head lol :geek:

·
Registered
298 Posts
aha phew sorry! :wtf: thought i had a cut n shut or some thing for a sec there lol :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Andy said:
Info still needed:

What's my service schedule? - Need a copy of the list as found in service books if anyone has it.

1.4i EJ9 Hawaii model - Parkers says it's got 74bhp - does anyone have one? Can you confirm which engine it has in it?

Service schedule for pre 1999 cars is 5,000 then 10,000 then 15,000 etc Post 1999 cars is 6,000 10,000 16,000 20,000 etc etc

The 1.4 in all EJ9 models was 88bhp and the MA2 ( i think, was that the 1.4?) had 90bhp

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The facelift EJ9 had 89bhp actually :) Was a Z2 rather than an A4 and Honda specified it had 1 more bhp... much like they did with the FN2 having 198bhp rather than the 197 the EP3 had :crazy:

And thanks for the service schedule info, will add it in when I have more time.

Does anyone happen to know more specifically what mileages/months and what gets changed on the services though? As in does anyone fancy scanning in a copy of the table that shows it all in the service books :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Andy, regarding bulbs for 6th gen, if youve got jdm ek9 rear lamps and lighting harnesses the bulbs are all larger wedge type bulbs similar to sidelight ones rather than the ukdm lamps and harnesses which use the more familiar bayonet type bulbs. These are the wedge bulbs youll need from top down; Brake/Tail(W21/5W), Indicator(W21W), Reverse(W21W), Bottom Tail(W5W).

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Something I found out at the weekend about the M civics. The MA headlights, although they line up with the bolt holes are not compatible with MB/MC civics

I was sure of this anyway but I bought some MA lights after being told they were MB ones (the seller bought them as MB so was also miss-sold lol) and they lines up with the holes but the wing doesnt match the light and they look slightly different overall (mb/mc at the top MA at the bottom)

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I've since read that on here somewhere too. Will add it at some point, thanks dude :thumbup:

Any idea what the chassis numbers start with? It's all I need now to finish off that part!

So far we have:

JH - Japanese built
SH - Swindon built

1 - 20 of 46 Posts