Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi People.

I'm coming up to 50k miles and as far as I was aware by looking at my service book I will be due to change a timing belt... Now on speaking with a usually good and reliable local garage (Non-Honda Dealer) they advised that it has a timing 'chain' instead of a belt which does not need changing but just tightening as and when required?!

Is this correct? Just i would hate to go off their advice and for the engine to go bang if or when it snaps!

Thanks

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
ive only ever done the belts on h22s and other vtecs etc the only thing ive done on the k20 was a bloody clutch and that was a twat
the chain is running on guide rails one fixed and one for tension so i should think if they want you to check them you might be able to see the with the cam cover off
but they are 100% self adjusting and you would only be looking for surface wear on the guides and unless theres a known problem i cant see why at that sort of mileage it would be an issue thats why chains are fitted over belts for less maintenance
the only thing ive heard need checking is valve clearances every 25k or so correct me if im wrong i dont mind this is how we learn :) :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it's deffo a chain which does not need replacing instead of a belt which does? Just to make sure before I get it in for a service.

Thanks for your help people!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Could anyone recommend a good national garage chain other than a honda dealer? I need my tpye r serviced for 75k miles but dont want to pay over the odds for it.

cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts