Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[attachment=0:2bdbhu2f]self.jpg[/attachment:2bdbhu2f]
A new report says the next generation Honda Civic Type R should arrive in 2013 – sporting a turbocharged engine for the first time.

According to Auto Express, this hottest Honda hatch will brandish a Mugen-developed, 210-horsepower, 2.0-liter turbo four. When we last reported on Mugen, their engineers were boring and stroking the 2010 Civic Type R to develop 256 naturally aspirated horsepower.

Temple of VTEC purists can thank strict European emissions regulations for the move to forced induction, and Auto Express says that the Type R will receive a start-stop system to further conserve fuel. Honda fan boys will still have plenty to get excited about: A six-speed manual tranny with a short-throw shifter, track-ready suspension, and a whole complement of aero aids. The UK-based magazine predicts 0-60 times in the low six-second range and a top speed near 150 mph.

The Type R's projected £23,000 price tag (minus the 20% national tax the Brits factor into their new car prices) would make it about a $28,000 car at today's exchange rates. But alas, since it's based on the European five-door Civic, there's virtually no chance we'll be seeing this Type R Civic in the US. For the moment, you'll have to content yourself with checking out the artist's renderings over on Auto Express.

Source: Autoblog

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
Does 210 BHP really cut it these days?, surely if you already have a 200 BHP NA car then if you add a turbo you can do better than an extra 10 BHP. The turbo might only be there to improve the lack of low down pull the vtec suffers from and the torque might be improved considerably but I would have thought 240+ should be the target to aim for. You know that after market tuning places will be able to improve on this figure easily within a short space of time so why did Honda not make it a really attractive BHP figure to begin with.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
scuzzle said:
Does 210 BHP really cut it these days?, surely if you already have a 200 BHP NA car then if you add a turbo you can do better than an extra 10 BHP. The turbo might only be there to improve the lack of low down pull the vtec suffers from and the torque might be improved considerably but I would have thought 240+ should be the target to aim for. You know that after market tuning places will be able to improve on this figure easily within a short space of time so why did Honda not make it a really attractive BHP figure to begin with.

because of the restrictive emission regs.. honda produce a 210bhp car because this is within the emisson limit.. they have theyre hands tied.. any more bhp N/A and we wont be getting it at all.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Other manufacturers manage more than 210bhp.

Anyway, gotta remember that a lot of that article is pure speculation.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
I personally don't believe any of this tbh, unless auto-express have someone working on the inside this all just looks like speculation.

There's been nothing posted from Honda about it apart from an interview from someone hinting that they won't rule out any future Type R's having a turbo. The Type R itself isn't even confirmed yet, never mind what engine/specs it'll have.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
exactly, I think the new type-r will have a slightly changed K20 and be turbo'd. Maybe with higher compression like the JDM K20 This should have 250-260bhp easilly, it will need it to keep up with golf's, astra's etc

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's most likely a low pressure Turbo so it won't do too much on Peak output, but it generally gives higher output on the lower rev range giving the car more constant power delivery through the rev range (I say more though.. not exact constant delivery though) this typically means that you can shift earlier and thus save the world while not slowing down. So if you look at the example below the one graph rises to a peak and then drop off where the Turbo one has a earlier rise and then stay higher for longer meaning you have a more "efficient" delivery even though it doesn't actually give a higher peak.... (The graph below is just a example for reference purposes it has nothing to do with the Type R Civic)

[attachment=0:3pvxt14a]Ed30_big.gif[/attachment:3pvxt14a]

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Why not pinch the engines back from Ariel? Supercharged K20 pushing 300 ponies, show the VXR the true meaning of hothatch! Just dont ask me how to control all those rampaging ponies lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
The fact it's in Auto Express means there's a good chance it's horseshit. They rarely ever have an actual picture of the car, always a photoshop they came up with in their fucking sleep.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Yeah it's almost certain to be one they've asked to use that someone created on photoshop on digimods or whatever other PS sites there are out there.

What they probably should've said was "image for illustration purposes only"...

·
Registered
72 Posts
They did it with the new Astra VXR/OPC. They quite literally took a Corsa VXR and made it look slightly bigger and tweaked the lights :palm:

·
Registered
517 Posts
I was told that, due to European regulations coming in, Honda would have to stop production of the Type R due to emissions. So this news comes as suprise...
I'll keep my ears pealed at work, see what i can dig up :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
YangTang said:
I was told that, due to European regulations coming in, Honda would have to stop production of the Type R due to emissions.
They already have for about a year.

I thought the new CTR was supposed to be a 1.6 turbo? Wouldn't be too surprised if it was given thats the sort of power you can pull out of a CR-Z easily enough...

·
Registered
33 Posts
A new Honda Civic Type-R will be launched in 2013. A number of senior sources confirmed to Autocar that the hot hatch would make a return in the newly launched Civic hatchback.
Manabu Nishimae, president of Honda Motor Europe, admitted that “customers are keen to see sporty models and while we can’t deliver immediately we are going to develop and deliver those products.”
See our Honda Civic Type-R gallery
Expect the Civic Type-R to stick to its classic defining characteristics of a high-revving naturally aspirated petrol motor putting out over 200bhp and focusing on handling prowess rather than outright pace.
Yoshikazu Kigoshi, general manager for Honda research and design centre, described the new Type-R as having “special bumpers, wheels, spoilers and seats,” to set it apart from the standard car, as well as the usual firmer springs and more hardcore settings. It was also confirmed that Mugen would not be involved in the development of the Civic Type-R despite the tuning firm's hand in the new Mugen CR-Z that Honda has recently confirmed details and prices for.
The return of Type-R is yet another indication to come out of the Tokyo motor show that indicates how seriously the Japanese maker is now taking its performance cars. Sources even admitted that there was a possibility that more Type-R models could appear in the current range, but nothing is confirmed.
Read our full road test of a previous Honda Civic Type-R
However, while there is clearly a dedication to injecting more fun into the range, Kigoshi also claimed that there was very little chance of a new S2000 making an appearance any time soon due to the fact that it would be “difficult to justify the cost of making a rear-wheel drive car that would need its own platform.”

AUTOCAR ^

I really believe that Honda should have slapped Turbo's on ages ago, I mean look at the BTCC Civic's. 2l Turbocharged K20's and they dominate everything. It's too late now I fear, 200BHP K20's are what people are going to have to get used to, while other manufacturers develop ways to keep their 300BHP FWD Hatches on the road...

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Civic looks horrible. Front end looks like it's from a Seat Ibiza and back end from a pile of doody. Looks horrible and no doubt will be of a horrible quality due to strict budgets and costs.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts