Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, I'm planning on buying a Civic Sport in January (got the cash just waiting for NCB) and was wondering how quick they actually are? I've looked at stats i.e. on Parker's but when I look at all the reviews online people say that it does 0-60 in at least 9 secs and stats online are wrong. I test drove one the other day and it was lovely to drive, and didn't get a chance to boot it. Are they fairly quick? I'm changing from a saxo furio 1.4 which is very nippy for a 1.4 as its so stupidly light. Will the civic be quicker?

Thanks,

Will.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol really? I can't wait!! What's it like in terms of speed compared to a VTR? I'm not considering a French car again but was just wondering. Loved the test drive so much, it's so sturdy and solid, and holds the road like a beast!!

Cheers,

Will.

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
I had a vtr, id say its about the same tbh. The vtr feels faster cos its so damn small, but the civic is a better drive by far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK I see what you're saying. Basically I'm just considering whether I'll feel the difference in terms of speed and acceleration which I obviously will as I'm used to a 1.4. I was also considering the Golf GTTDI 130PS MK4 but there's something ilove about the civic, don't you agree?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Its not going to be fast as in really quick fast but it should be pretty nippy. My EK3 felt pretty quick sometimes but once you have driven much quicker cars stuff like that feels really sluggish.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i had a 1.4 2003 fiesta and in terms of power and acceleration the civic was about the same, if not "feeling" slower. the size of the car normally changes the feel of speed but as it is quite a bit bigger car it might not feel as fast. the only things that let it down for me were the price and the engine. i was ready for something faster. i also drove a fabia vrs (130hp diesel) and that felt great but the rest of the car felt ghey. not as poised as the sport!

i came across the jordan, which is quick! vti quick1 and comfy, and handles well! pretty much put bang in the middle of the comfort of the fabia and the handling of the sport. with a b series 1.6 with a vtec kick is definitely the car for me!

for a younger driver where insurance is really ghey and expensive i would've had the sport every time! group 6 is it? the jordan being group 15! fabia being group 9 (as is the fiesta zetec s). i pretty much had all my choices made up for me then. money didnt come around until i was 20 so i was definitely ready to sell the fiesta, all 85k of rape ownership it got. i actually miss it!! but the jordan was for me at the time!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you chose the jordan? is that an older civic DOHC? I've been looking at getting a Polo GTi, Lupo GTi, not a vts as ive already got a saxo, Zetec S (didnt like it) and have been looking at a Golf GT TDi 130bhp, and obviously the Civ Sport, but it isn't as fast as I would like.

I'm also in this situation of wanting to find a fast car, which isn't overly expensive to run (tax etc) but is going to last me travelling to uni and back over 4 years and give me loads of enjoyment, and is comfy. The Polo GTi is the speed i kind of want, but it doesn't look as good as others in my opinion. I'm considering the Lupo GTi but is it too small and is it ok for motorways? Probably, I don't know. I'm kind of stuck and confused on what to get :S I have a 7k budget and can get insured on a Lupo GTi for 1500, a Civic Sport for 1000 and a 1.8T Golf for 2000. Don't really want to go above group 13 to be honest, as >1500 is ridiculous in my opinion. Want at least 37-40 mpg so a FAST 1.6 is ideal for me.

Write back with suggestions if you have any!

Thanks stug,

Will.

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
I can do birmingham and back (120miles) on half (sometimes much less) a tank.

One thing i like about the sport is the mpg. It aint half bad! Parkers says 42mpg, and it does 70mph without being in vtec, and yes it is insurance group 6.

The sport aint for you if u want fast though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah well I don't know if i need fast or not. Basically I need the car to be good for motorways as I travel 30 miles to uni everyday. I want it to have some punch when I need it i.e. for overtaking and general fun, and I want it to be good on handling and comfy on long journeys really. Do I need faster than a civic sport to fulfil these needs?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
jordan is 1999 with the civic sport being 20001 (when the tax bands came in).
my tax is 185 and i think insurance would be nearly 2k for u. but thats if you can find someone who will insure u! im paying 1600 for full comp and every extra (breakdown, drive other cars, legal cover) with bell.co.uk. if you want full comp but not the extras elephant.co.uk. 20 years old (now 21 and policy ends in feb)

my car is definitely comfy! but economy isnt that great. ive peaked at 40mpg but normally get 35/36 but has been as low as 25 on the road. 12mpg on the track! i manage 150 miles on half a tank quite easily. have had 170 if i dont vtec, or a longer journey!

for an 18 year old you will be extremely happy with the sport! probably the best car for younger drivers! i'm sure they are comfy as they arent as harsh as the type r (which my bro has). and everything said about economy is there! the speed is there but isnt dangerously fast (you could lose your licence but your not able to go that fast!)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
For an 18 year old I'm pretty sure the sport will be fast enough ;) Tbh if you don't have masses of driving experience and you drive something really quick you will probably end up stacking it! Hence part the reason I'm not putting the CRX on the road its going to be pretty damn quick and just lethal on full boost and I have been told that I will end up stacking it!

Plus the wife says that I'm not allowed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK thanks :) Yeah I think I will go with the Sport because all of the others I was considering have much higher running costs, and the sport is definately the best looking! I've been quoted 1000 fully comp with 2 years no claims (I will be 19 in Jauary which is when I will be getting it) with Directline, which is who I am with now, and also some others on gocompare.com were around 1000, which I thought was quite good really since at the moment I'm paying 945 for my Saxo Furio.

I test drove the sport and love the feel of it so I will be going for that :)

By the way, do 18's fit on the civic sports?

Also what could I do to make it a bit quicker but without completely changing major parts of the engine? induction kit?

Thanks,

Will.

p.s ooooooo CRX :):):):):):)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
thats a bargain for insurance!!! my fiesta which is group 4 at 20 cost £1100 for fully comp, legal protection and breakdown!

do you really want 18s on it? comfort will be ruined because you will need such thin profile tires!!

extracting power from the engine is really hard! things like induction kits and exhausts will make it louder, making it feel faster!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No I don't want them lol, would just look SCHWEET! But yeah ride would be ruined. What about Type R alloys? How would ride comfort be then?

Yeah I thought the insurance was good too.

Won't be getting an induction kit or exhaust tbh cuz like you say it just adds noise.....actually maybe a really good induction kit like k&n cuz theyre meant to sound really nice right? Like not chavvy nova style but actually roaring sound?

·
Registered
211 Posts
get a VTI man, you wont be disapointed.... There Fast (would own a Polo GTi, Lupo GTi, VTR, Golf GT TDi 130bhp, i have even owned a couple of 1.8T 150bhp golf mk4's)

and like stug45 said if you drive light footed it will return you 40mpg

1 - 20 of 39 Posts