Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2004 civic oil burner from my local Honda dealership back in November. I have all the usual after sales quality care you would expect from a used car from Honda. I have noticed that my car is only returning approx 350-400 miles per tank of diesel. I am taking my readings from light to light. i.e. from nearly empty when the little orange light comes on until the light comes on again after using the tank. I normally fill up with approx 41 litres of diesel. I,m not sure if the light is coming on too early or is it just normal consumption? I do a lot of short commuting journeys but even on long runs when the trip reads a steady 52mpg, the tank still only returns approx 383miles. I,m normally reading about 48mpg around town. I dont kane it everywhere and there are only 27000 miles on the clock. By my calculations its only returning approx 42mpg?

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
How many litres of diesel does the tank carry? It will say in the manual.

Mine holds 50 litres and the yellow light comes on when there is 8 litres left

I reset my mileometer every time I fill up, and i average 290 miles when the light comes on

So by using this website to work it out:- http://www.eforecourt.com/calc_mpg.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I average 31.39 MPG

If your tank is the same as mine, you are averaging 42mpg, like you say

Hmm

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Exactly what car do you have, could you supply us with everything you know?

Does your car looks like this?
[attachment=0:2efiwhbh]civic.jpg[/attachment:2efiwhbh]

Is your Civic an SE, or Inspire S? If you can tell me that I can tell you how many MPG you should be getting. Those are the only two versions that have a CDTi engine.

Is this your exact car? If not which one of these?

If after all this you have discovered that you are getting exactly the mileage your car should be getting, then you could consider a fuel regulator or saving device.

Also, have you:
- Checked your tire pressure?
- Checked for any excess weight in your car?
- Tried it with your air conditioning tuned off? (air conditioning physically uses fuel)
- Taken your car to be tuned?
- Waited until your tank is completely empty before refilling, to save pulling around unnecessary weight?
- Considered alternatively fuelled cars?!

Hope this helped you out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is the SE model, tyres are slightly over inflated probably, no excess weight (i,m divorced now), air con is off, no tuning mods etc etc. Its nowhere near 56mpg as parkers state.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Is your air induction clogged somewhere along the line? If you have no mods then I assume you still have the factory air box fitted, but you will have a flat panel filter which will look something like below. How dirty is it?
[attachment=0:1d1y7pww]panel-filter.jpg[/attachment:1d1y7pww]
You will never get exactly what Parker says, since it depends on so many different variables like the RPM you change gear at, going up/down hill etc.

To be quite honest if your getting 48MPG, then that isn't far off the 56MPG Parkers says.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
heh i usually get around 30ish out of my civic, but then i drive it hard... really hard

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The main thing I was looking for was other users of the same car and their comparisons.
Great help up to now guys tho. Is this a new site as there seems to be a small (but very knowledgeable) population here?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Unfortunately, as yet I don't think there are any other users with exactly the same car as you. Sorry about that.

Yes, we are less than a month old, glad you like it :)

May I ask how you found our little corner of the Internet?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Skinny said:
Edd said:
heh i usually get around 30ish out of my civic, but then i drive it hard... really hard

lmao, loving that comment!! haha
change gear below 6000 rpm? you must be mad! it wont even fall back into the power band ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found y'all through google. I hit so many american sites and boy racer type sites over the past few weeks and nearly give up hope. I,ve had a jap import Mitsi FTO in the past and the forums were great, especially as imports were relatively rare back then. I found out so much about the car it opened up a whole new world of knowledge. I joined the owners club and went to shows, meets etc. I hope this site gets as popular

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yeh i hope to god that this forum wont fill with boy racers that dont actually care about their car, just drive like Assholes.

I like the street racer look, but i dont drive like one lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I,ve got my car booked in at the local main dealer to hjave the fuel consumption looked at again. I got 370miles from 42litres, light to light. Its also getting the aircon sorted as it isnt working.
I,ve just put £20 in and am changing gear at 2000rpm where possible. At the minute its reading about 55mpg which is what I expect.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Skinny said:
Yeh i hope to god that this forum wont fill with boy racers that dont actually care about their car, just drive like Assholes.

I like the street racer look, but i dont drive like one .
I thrash my car but also make sure its maintained!

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Skinny said:
I like the street racer look, but i dont drive like one lol.
I'll have to admit that I do, but it's slightly different on the Isle of Wight. My friends and I can race all we want on pretty much any part of the Island without endangering other people at all.

·
Registered
780 Posts
i car about my cars (as you can see) but have sold my boy racer one, trouble is i still drive a little heavy footed, hence my tank of £45 only doing about 220miles :( but my oil chages are slightly longer at 4,000miles

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Oh I care for my car (alot) just I drive it a little faster than everyone in the passenger seats prefers :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As usual the local Honda dealership were very professional. Got my car booked in this morning, I got a new Honda Jazz and not a new civic as I was expecting, as my courtesy car. They charged me £11.50 for insurance and an extra £2 for going over the 20 mile limit. The mpg was found to be faultless and my aircon is now working like a smeg freezer. Just at the right time when the weather is scorchio.
Now I need to be less lead footed and keep my aircon off if I want better mpg.
I can highly recommend De Vries Honda in Stockton On Tees. And the girls behind reception are very easy on the eye.
Ding Dong!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts