Honda Civic Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Andy here. As I said in the New Members forum, I have a Civic on a 53 plate with an SRS light on. Took it to have the codes scanned and a code 11-3 came up - No signal from right-hand side impact sensor. Fault would not clear. The person with the scanner recommended an auto electrician to me. In the meantime, I have discovered that there is a separate code for front impact sensors, so I am assuming that the fault indicates a problem with the sensor bolted to the edge of the floorpan under the front door. I also found out that there is a code for a side sensor internal fault, but only 11-3 is thrown up. Is this then likely to point to a wiring fault, or could the sensor still be at fault? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can't give you model specific advice on this. But I can share some experience. In investigating or working on these systems its important to disconnect the battery and let the car stand for 10 minutes before touching anything. You don't want an SRS or airbag activating when working, that's dangerous

Example 1. Friend's car. Wiring plug had been broken and wrenched out by rear passengers feet under a front seat.

Example 2. Neighbours car. Work has been done on the car. There was an intermittent fault. A bolt securing a component was loose and that was its earthing point.

Example 3. A car of mine (non Honda). Water had been getting sucked in around a rear light cluster. It had been sucked over the boot lining, through the under seat sound deadening and into the massive piece of sponge in the rear footwell. Unbeknownst to me, for some time. It got cold and froze. Water expanded and sheared cable on one of the tiny impact sensors in this floor. OBDII had identified the sensor. It was only with it off that the fault was visible.

If you're doing things yourself, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't give you model specific advice on this. But I can share some experience. In investigating or working on these systems its important to disconnect the battery and let the car stand for 10 minutes before touching anything. You don't want an SRS or airbag activating when working, that's dangerous

Example 1. Friend's car. Wiring plug had been broken and wrenched out by rear passengers feet under a front seat.

Example 2. Neighbours car. Work has been done on the car. There was an intermittent fault. A bolt securing a component was loose and that was its earthing point.

Example 3. A car of mine (non Honda). Water had been getting sucked in around a rear light cluster. It had been sucked over the boot lining, through the under seat sound deadening and into the massive piece of sponge in the rear footwell. Unbeknownst to me, for some time. It got cold and froze. Water expanded and sheared cable on one of the tiny impact sensors in this floor. OBDII had identified the sensor. It was only with it off that the fault was visible.

If you're doing things yourself, I hope this helps.

Thanks for advice Bryan D, I'll do some digging around, with the battery disconnected of course. Keep you posted

1 - 3 of 3 Posts