Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I hope I'm not repeating a common question here - I did try to search but all of the keywords I used were rejected as being too common.

I've run an MR2 turbo for the past two years which I have just sold. I've owned a 1996 1.4 civic before, and now that I want to save a bit of money on petrol and parts I'm looking at civics again. However, I want something that is still fairly powerful, so I'm looking at either a 96-01 5 door 1.8 VTi or a 1.6 VTi coupe of the same age. I have about 2200 pounds to spend.

Looking at autotrader, pistonheads etc. it seems I'm looking at cars with between 80k and 100k miles for this price, and there are a few with FSH. Can anyone run down the important differences between the two cars? Obviously the 1.8 is slightly faster, although the 1.6 is only 20bhp less, which would be fine with me.

Does the suspension on each differ? The interior on the coupes look a bit nicer, but apart from that I don't know much about the difference between the two. The steering on my 1.4 5 door was very light with virtually no feel to it, which seems to be a common complaint with civics of this age - do the VTIs have similar steering feel? If anyone can give me any idea of the differing character of each car, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Luke

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
coupe vs 3 door vs 5 door

looks-1.coupe 2.3 door 3.5door
speed 1.5 door 2.3 door 3.coupe (extra boot adds weight)
rarity 1.coupe 2.5 door 3.3 door
tuning 1.3 door+coupe 3. 5 door (hard to find bits as some of the bits for the 5 door are unique)

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
The coupe is a much nicer car to drive and be in. Was in a mates 5 door VTI and yes it was a nice car but it just didn't have that "special something" that a coupe has. And I'm pretty sure that something is the fact that the coupe is so rare. When i was in my mates 5 door cruising around only 1 person gave it a second glance. But when I'm out in my VTI coupe loads of people are checking it out. Hell last night at the petrol station a guy came up to me and asked what type of BMW my coupe was (he didn't see the H badge on the boot :lol:). If you can find one go for a coupe, however it might cost you more the £2200 for a VTI coupe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies, everyone, that's really helpful.

I've seen a coupe for sale which is marked up as a "VTEC". Does this mean that it's the 160bhp VTi, or did they make a less powerful version which still had a VTEC unit? I'm guessing it probably is the VTi but wanted to make sure...

Thanks,

Luke

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a VTI coupe u will not be disapointed with it, i have loads of people offering to buy it off me LOOL.. keep revs below 3,000 rpm its a petrol sipper... take the revs above 5,500 to 8,200 it goes insane but your petrol pays the price... the "VTEC" badge doesnt mean anything the SR coupe have a VTEC badge if you just see a coupe with a VTEC badge lift up the bonet and make sure the chasis and engine code read EM1 B16A2

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm only interested in the proper VTi models, so I'll check the engine code with the advertiser.

Cheers,

Luke

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Remember there are different types of Vtec, just because it says Vtec it doesn't mean a lot. You really have to check the engine code's to make sure it is the B16A2 thats inside the car. If it's the "facelift" model then there is a better chance its the VTI, I.e. if its reg'd between 1999 - 2000 then it could be the VTI, if it's older than 1999 keep looking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a 2001, which I think makes it the very end of the model. Unless it's the beginning of the new model and I haven't learnt to tell the difference!

I need to check it's before March 2001 anyway, otherwise it's gonna come in for this stupid new car tax...

Luke

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
I'm nae sure, think it might be the newer model, do you have a picture of it and we'll soon tell ya?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,

Here's a couple of pics:

Actually, the exhaust pipe looks a bit weedy for a 1.6 VTi - although I know that's not exactly a foolproof test!

Thanks for all the help,

Luke

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Nope sorry mate, that ain't a B16A2 engined VTI coupe. That is an EM2 coupe 1.7ltr SOHC vtec. develops about 120bhp i think. Your looking for a 1.6 engined coupe which looks like this, This is my coupe....

Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, Chris.

That's good, actually, as the 1.6 looks much better than the 1.7, especially from behind!

Cheers,

Luke

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
elem said:
Thanks, Chris.

That's good, actually, as the 1.6 looks much better than the 1.7, especially from behind!

Cheers,

Luke
Nae probs dude, seen a few people in the past buy a car that they thought was what they were looking for only to find out it was a lesser model. Just check out autotrader they normaly have quite a few

·
Registered
680 Posts
nickyboy said:
no the 5 door is slower than the 3 door Stuggy old chap :)

Something like .3 of a second slower to 60. In real terms they are neck and neck. Although for snob value the mb6 has more power and more torque :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts