Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
iv just bought a honda civic 1.4 gl 1991, its got 50,000 miles and id like to know if theres anything to look watch for, parts braking down etc....and also are the parts still easy to get? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
80 Posts
hiya, thats exactly the car im saving up for!! ;D I've doen tons of research on them and grew up with one that my Auntie had for 8 years :p I loved that car. Right then, parts to look out 4, rust, (Underseal it!!!!! and keep it alive) Or u could face a few hundred pounds worth of welding bills :redface: , cv boot splits sometimes, thermostat goes on a few. Otherwise thats absolutely it :D There pretty much it apart from the obvious tires and wiper blades replacements thats all you really have to look out for and ofcourse check oil, water levels, tire pressures every month at least and it will keep you going 4 ever. You'll get 250'000 miles from it easy AS LONG AS U UNDERSEAL IT WITH QUALITY STUFF :D Have fun with it and I dont think parts are too hard to get, bearing in mind you'll barely need any anyway since there so well engineered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thought i'd give this thread a little bump.

I'm going to view an 89 1.4 gl tomorrow,really hoping this is the one!!!

One thing thats worrying me is the chap said theres a hole in the boot,he didnt really explain too much apart from saying it passed the mot fine with it.

Is this something i should worry about? Oh and btw it has 140,000 on the clock,am i getting my hopes up for nothing here or will it still run ok?

Other than the hole in the boot he just said it needs some tlc and is in perfectly normal condition for an F reg.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers folks
Chaz

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Check the spare wheel well, under the boot carpet. Mines has a small hole at the back of the bumper which lets water in. Also, like 91 Bluebell EF said check for other areas of rust. Mines had welding done under the previous owner, but it will need more done again this year. The sills seem to be the worst affected area. Just give them a knock to see if they feel soft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts