Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yo wassup people, quick question
will i have any porblems fitting on 18 inch wheels on a eg, and if so what will the extra costs be?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
the two problems would be, as nicky said, bad handling, but not just that.. you'd also have to put up with you car looking like ass .. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
i had 17s on my EG. I swapped them for 15s after a few months for much better handling and performance. depends what your after i guess

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Right im always reading on here that 15s are better on handling than 17s for intance
where or why did you come to this conclusion
the way i see it a lower profile tyre will not have so much roll in a corner than a higher profile tyre (as you keep the rolling radius as close to stock as possible)
also a good quality wheels are lighter than oem wheels
bigger wheels less rubber in general as tyres are the main contribution to wheel weight
im not sure as too why the smaller wheel is winning the argument here
in my own case my car was originally on 15s and a change to 16s has had a positive effect due to less tyre roll rather than a negative
i know all about unsprung weight but a good quality upgrade in size can more often than not reduce the overall wheel package weight,
i had a set of BBS CHs in 18x 8.5 which where lighter than a set of 15" oem wheels i had at the time
just curious thats all :D

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
mathewp80 said:
i have 17s with toyo proxies , and the handling is shite its dead twitchy coming into a bend and they slow your car down , ill be buying 16s soon as they are lighter
im sorry ive been wanting to get into this for ages ,
if your using the same rolling radius and same width tyre with good quality alloys which will make the overall package lighter HOW can the handling be worse ,
it cant be
people must be using tyres too wide and crap alloys
i have NEVER upsized wheels and knackered the handling track or road.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Say you have 15" alloys just now, tyre size 195/50/15, and you want to upgrade to 18s, tyre size 225/35/18, the tyre circumference is now 4.8" more, not to mention the extra weight (unless you go for super light wheels, which isn't as much a factor as it should be when upgrading rims). So in that example, which would be pretty common as those tyre sizes are the norm for those wheels, then acceleration would indeed be degraded.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Yes i understand that ,
i suppose its people as 18s are available in smaller and lower profiles than that but they cost more ,
and yeah they car more about looks than weight
my 18 x 8.5 BBS wheels where a lot lighter than the 17x 7 oem wheels and the tyres where no different in weight ,
althou i have to agree i would not go anymore than x2 on a oem wheel
but as i said if you keep with and rolling radius and width as close as possible i dont see a negative side with good quality wheel and tyre combo.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
If its for looks and you are not pushing the power.... then its 15's all the way, but if you want handling and traction 17s are the way to go, I have run both and 15s just don't cut it with standard tyre sizes available for them, I am now running 215/40/17 (would go for 35s, but there hard to get) but they are much better than the 205/40s I had and much much better than the set of 195/50/15s I tried.

·
Registered
45 Posts
yeh its about balancing the car, the engine power, the handling and the looks.
You wouldn't put 15s on an EP3 Type R for example.
I went from std 13in steelies to 17in alloys on a 1.5 Lsi and regretted it - the engine doesn't have the power to turn the things so i dropped to 15in alloys.
On my VTI i wanted to lower the centre of gravity so changed from 15in OEMs to low profile tyres with aftermarket 15in alloys. i calculated i reduced the centre of gravity by 5mm. Every little helps :)
Tyres have a huge effect too - especially if they come in wheel+tyres packages, where you might get a budget tyre. Decisions, decisions, decisions. That's why it takes me so bloomin long to decide to do anything on my car...

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
never actually really thought about this before but yes i can see how it can effect certain cars, didnt think it would effect handling as much but acceleration yes, rally cars try get the biggest wheels possible to improve their handling!
wouldnt mind a set of 15's/16's but i love my alloys too much lol and a good 17 in alloy does look nice when the car has been lowered!!

to be honest that eg does look nice with 18 inch rims as they sit in the arch well,but to be honest you need a little bit of compromise or youl just be having too many issues with rubbing etc let alone the handling etc if its effected

·
Registered
208 Posts
riding on 18s with standard suspension itl sit like a 4x4 i had my fiesta on 16s and it was bad enough! To pull the look off youll need big money for wider arches and decent coilies to drop it enough

·
Registered
795 Posts
Haha I've got 18's on my EG at the moment. Lowered with 40mm lowering springs. Handles pretty well IMO acually however they do rub on full lock. They look calright I suppose but I'm changing them for personaly liking.

Heres a couple of pics of mine...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts