Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some one in an earlier thread asked how a SOHC can be a 16 valve and i said i would take some pics when i did my clearences, which has now turnt into doing stem oil seals aswel lol.

with the rocker assembly on:

rocker assembly:

valve springs:

you can see how the exhaust valve are positioned at the outter edge of the cylinder to allow space for the intake valves in between.

·
Registered
340 Posts
awesome, i was having an argument about this with an old friend from school the other day, he was insisting it was impossible! cheers mate, im going to send him those pics lol

·
Registered
614 Posts
yeah think it was me m8, i beleived u as i heard it b4 but couldnt get my tiny little brain around the idea lol good pics tho and mint engineering!!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i change the oil every 8'000-10'000 miles and use forte motor flush to break down any sludge before i drain it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
generally talking all D series engines are SOHC, apart from the bastard child of the family the ZC lol.

what chassis is the D14Z2 out of?????? ive never heard of it.

i would think with the easiest way to tell would be the spark plug locations, SOHC have the spark plugs on the out side of the valve cover and DOHC have them down the center.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Single cams have been powering 16v heads for years. This is the first mass produced 16v car from 1973, granted its not overhead cam but still prety respectable for its day........The mighty Triumph Dollimite Sprint

Once the logical decision was taken to use the slant-four engine, the sporting Dolomite was born, and it was obvious that customers would want a much more powerful version to match the sports saloons produced by the company's competitors. Also, a development of the slant-four would provide the perfect engine to compete more effectively in motor sport. In response to this brief, Spen King devised a plan to extract more power. With co-operation from Harry Mundy and the engineers at Coventry Climax, a 16 Valve cylinder head was designed, which would sit atop a two-litre version of the engine. Ingeniously, the 16 Valves would be actuated by a single camshaft, long rockers across the head were used to actuate the second bank of valves. The arrangement was clever because it negated the need for an expensive twin camshaft arrangement, and would offer all the benefits of the multi-valve layout. At a stroke, Triumph had developed an engine that would power the marque's cars in a most effective way for many years to come - certainly, the SD2 was conceived with a fuel-injected version of this engine very much in mind.

Development posed interesting problems, simply because of the fact that the 16V slant-four was so efficient, it was relatively easy for the engineers to tweak it to produce over 150bhp. The final figure was 127bhp - a very healthy figure, especially when viewed in the context of its 1973 introduction. Like the Dolomite before it, the Sprint (the name chosen early on during development) was subject to several delays - but it duly appeared in the autumn of 1973, and was greeted by buyer and press enthusiasm, alike. The Dolomite Sprint was noteworthy for using the first mass-produced 16 Valve 4-cylinder engine, and its stylish GKN alloy wheels were also a first: it was the first British saloon to wear alloy wheels as standard.

Yes i know im sad and i am only 29 honnest!

·
Registered
253 Posts
clinchy said:
generally talking all D series engines are SOHC, apart from the bastard child of the family the ZC lol.

what chassis is the D14Z2 out of?????? ive never heard of it.

i would think with the easiest way to tell would be the spark plug locations, SOHC have the spark plugs on the out side of the valve cover and DOHC have them down the center.
Yea, the spark plug locations are on the outside of the valve cover, Its an EJ9, not sure of the chassis, cant tell posting from work :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts