Honda Civic Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10th Gen Honda Civic Hatchback makes a faint but noticeable helicopter/propeller like noise when going over 40 mph.
There is no apparent vibrations to the steering or any swaying to a side and the drive seems fine.

However I recently carried several bags of garden compost in the trunk possibly with a total weight of ~ 200 kg. Then the noise was definitely much louder when the speed reached around 40+ mph.

For what its worth I have made a small sound recording of the noise (When I was not carrying any load in truck). Unfortunately I am not able to attach sound files here, but can send it across by another channel if required.

The tiers are relatively new and cant see any damage or debris.

Would be fantastic if any one of you motor detectives could give me a lead as to what the issue could be ?

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds likes wheel bearings are giving up on you, are you able to pinpoint the sound to either end of the car at all? The fronts will make more noise under braking, the rears are easier to hear if you turn and give the rear end some load in a corner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds likes wheel bearings are giving up on you, are you able to pinpoint the sound to either end of the car at all? The fronts will make more noise under braking, the rears are easier to hear if you turn and give the rear end some load in a corner.
Thanks for the info. To me it sounds like coming from the rear. I will try to attempt your technique to diagnose.

In the meantime, would a wheel bearing issue cause a noise like this when carrying any weight in the trunk ??.

I noticed the noise got quite louder when I carried several bags of garden compost with a total weight of aprox 200 kg.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info. To me it sounds like coming from the rear. I will try to attempt your technique to diagnose.

In the meantime, would a wheel bearing issue cause a noise like this when carrying any weight in the trunk ??.

I noticed the noise got quite louder when I carried several bags of garden compost with a total weight of aprox 200 kg.
Yeah for sure as you're putting more load on the bearings 👍

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
First timer here.
I've also got a 10th Gen Civic that makes the same noise. It only happens occasionally but not under any specific circumstances.
It's only got 30,000 miles on the clock, I thought the wheel bearings would have lasted longer than that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Whilst I agree 30k miles is not a lot, it does depend on many factors, such as load, humidity, temperature, and age of the bearing. Some last better than others with no explanation.

You can also check for bearing play with the wheel on, just Jack the car up and see if there is movement front top to bottom on the noisy wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts