Honda Civic Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gutted to have read about this, but glad I did!
Just booked in to Cardiff Honda to get my Oct 2018 Civic's AC looked at. Bought the car from Cazoo, who were fantastic btw. Typically I noticed the AC went as my 90 day Cazoo warranty went.

I bought the car as I deal with Honda's central engineering (in Japan) with work and the way they work made me think this car would be built like a tank.

I just hope that Honda Cardiff have had to deal with this before and will accept the 'globally known fault' line if it comes down to it!

What should I be checking for under the bonnet before I take it there?
Not sure really what you can check. I did try and watch the clutch on the front of the compressor to see if was pulling in but it’s hard to see. Unless you have the correct gauges you can’t check if the gas has leaked out. The bottom line is has the system lost gas? If it has there is a leak. I took a video of my condenser using my boresope in case they try and blame a leak on stone damage but maybe I’m being paranoid.
i am not aware of any checks you can do.
D
Just as an aside. I’ve had dozens of company cars until I retired and probably covered 200000 miles in cars with AC and I also own a 26 year old MX5 and in all these vehicles there has never been any issue with the AC due to stone damage so I think Honda talk S**T

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see.
I had a look at the TSB American Honda released following the 10 year warranty. There is an image showing what the radiator 'impact damage' looks like. It's damage to the rail/tube that they'd turn me away for by the looks. Fin damage is to be expected I think.
Hope they don't fob me off, I really like this car :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gutted to have read about this, but glad I did!
Just booked in to Cardiff Honda to get my Oct 2018 Civic's AC looked at. Bought the car from Cazoo, who were fantastic btw. Typically I noticed the AC went as my 90 day Cazoo warranty went.

I bought the car as I deal with Honda's central engineering (in Japan) with work and the way they work made me think this car would be built like a tank.

I just hope that Honda Cardiff have had to deal with this before and will accept the 'globally known fault' line if it comes down to it!

What should I be checking for under the bonnet before I take it there?
Good luck anyway. Let us know how you get on. I was going to write to What Car or similar to publicise the problem, but my wife said “Better wait until we’ve sold it”!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Stevie, I hope you stand your ground, don't let then Dealer walk all over you, this is a know defect, by that I mean it's known WORLDWIDE !!!
Hi, the problem with the air conditioning was a leaking condenser, it's being replaced under warranty.

I've got to say that for a new car I am totally underwhelmed. In 2 years and 24,000 miles it's needed 4 services, the front calipers have been stripped 3 times because they are noisy and, unfortunately remain noisy, and it's also had a recall for the fuel pump impeller.

It's also the most uncomfortable car I've ever owned, the seats are far too firm.

Its saving grace? It's very economical, spacious and quiet. Would I have another?
No I wouldn't, too many garage visits for a brand new car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I forgot to include the recall for front sensor replacement, I drove 100 miles in heavy rain with the car 'telling' me I was about to collide with something, full front bumper with sensors replaced.

I'm So dissatisfied with the car but also customer service, they don't seem to care about the inconvenience of all this, as long as they fix the problem and put a tick in a box. Maybe I'm cynical because I'm getting old....🤔

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

Well Honda Cardiff were no problem at all. They inspected the car last week and came back explaining the condenser issue and that it would be done under warranty.
And today, it was done under warranty with no issues.

I hope that this'll be the only issue I have, but judging by some other's issues, I won't be surprised if it's not!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just an update on my situation.
Just collected my car after having a new condenser fitted and all completed under warranty. No Qustions.
Out of interest the report said " Vehicle is in VIN range covered by bulletin ST-09-002-05 "
I've tried to find this bulletin on line but no joy. Anyone have access to this?
Dave.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Guess what, the Air Conditioning FAILED AGAIN less than 12 months since they first replaced it !!! one faulty unit replaced by another faulty unit !!!
It's not like we use A/C much in the UK, anyway, I phoned the Dealer, told them the A/C had quit, no argument or mention of stone damage this time.

They ordered another unit and fitted it today, I asked them for a copy of the work done, to be told "we don't give out copies of warranty work orders."
I told them "well you did last time" but they still didn't want to give me a copy, until I told them "it would be in the best interest of BOTH of us."
Maybe someone from Honda reads the Forum ? chances are they wouldn't like to be reading another free work order, AGAIN, but here it is, files attached.
Nothing redacted this time...

At that point they hit the PRINT button. I've had enough of my Civic now, and of Honda, other manufacturers offer 5 years or more warranties.
Honda's is just 3 years. The car is going it's own way now, I'm selling it before the A/C quits again, that's THE LAST Honda I'll ever buy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar issue with my car. I tried fixing it myself, but I wasn’t able to succeed. Eventually, I went to the local service and got my air conditioner fixed there. I had an issue with my air conditioner last week, and it wasn’t blowing any cold air. I tried everything possible to fix it, but I still couldn’t succeed. I watched some YouTube videos, and still, it didn’t help me. I cleaned it twice, and I even switched the vents but still nothing. That’s why I decided that I need to find a solution ASAP. I went on the internet and started to search for a solution. After hours of searching, I ran into marvellous.sg and I was surprised. They had all the information needed about air conditioners and how to fix them. After reading, I was able to figure out what is the issue and after all, I managed to fix my air conditioner.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello Keith, well, I solved the problem, I got rid of the car last week, no more Honda's for me.

Bob.
It’s a shame. one of the reasons I bought a Honda was they had a reputation of quality and customer service. They were always in the top five of the Motoring Which? customer reviews. I wonder what has changed in the last couple of years. Sadly, if I knew what I know now 18 months ago I would not have bought mine. Mind you it was £10k off list price so can’t complain too much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Same here, Honda WAS known for quality & reliability, maybe there's a new brigade at Honda HQ now, obviously not just in the UK but Globally.
It's not just that things are going wrong, but Honda buyers in the UK are treated very differently to folks in the US & Canada, they get recall notices
we get fobbed off with "maybe it was stone damage". They treat us like mugs, and sadly a lot of folks fall for it, they don't rock me to sleep.

·
Registered
Honda Civic Ex-I-Dtec (118) 5h 2wd 2019
6 Posts
Just bought a 2019 Civic on 15th July 2021 lucky weather was hot and noticed two days later AC was not working so took it back and they agrred to replace the Condensor under warranty so still waiting for the part to arrive as this seems to be a problem.
I am told its a 3 year warranty on the Condensor but somewhere in here I saw 10 year 🤔

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just bought a 2019 Civic on 15th July 2021 lucky weather was hot and noticed two days later AC was not working so took it back and they agrred to replace the Condensor under warranty so still waiting for the part to arrive as this seems to be a problem.
I am told its a 3 year warranty on the Condensor but somewhere in here I saw 10 year 🤔
They’ve extended the warranty in the US ( not sure about Canada ) to 10 years but so far nothing in Europe. They have much better lawyers in America.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They’ve extended the warranty in the US ( not sure about Canada ) to 10 years but so far nothing in Europe. They have much better lawyers in America.
Just got my car back from Honda with new Condensor plus confirmation of an additional 7 year warranty so all in all pretty happy with that.
New thing is they are replacing the grill as there is a fault with the sensor that warns you of objects or cars in close proximity if front of you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got my car back from Honda with new Condensor plus confirmation of an additional 7 year warranty so all in all pretty happy with that.
New thing is they are replacing the grill as there is a fault with the sensor that warns you of objects or cars in close proximity if front of you
Interesting. I had my condensor replaced about a month ago but no mention of an extended warranty.
Has anyone else heard of this?
My car is due for a service next month so I will mention this to the garage when I take it in.
Thanks for the info.
D.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I contacted Honda last week to ask them if the warranty on the condensers had been extended and got this reply.

Thank you for contacting Honda UK.

We are sorry to learn about the situation with the condenser on your 2019 Civic.

The warranty for the condenser has not been extended in the UK market.

Thank you for your understanding.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Kind Regards,
Julian Antov
Honda Customer Service “

Any chance you could contact your garage to confirm the warranty extention?

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fortunately I actually saw the communication from Honda and it clearly said they were considering extending the warranty to 7 years on tbe Condensor so thats what prompted me to insist I get confirmation the warranty for my Condensor is extended from 3 to 7 years - I have that confirmation

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, this is a copy and paste of a post I made from another forum discussing this problem just to close the loop.

Hi,firstly I must apolagise, seems I was talking rubbish. Not for the first time I hear you say.
I emailed my local Honda agent this morning ( note agent not main dealer ) to ask for some clarification after they had replaced my condenser in June. They phoned me back within the hour for a chat and to sort things out.
Seems the new condenser was not " like for like " as I said above, but a newer version.
On comparing the label on the new and old condenser again, the part number is indeed different. The old part number was TBC-A011-M1 and the new one is TBC-A020-M1 which is apparently not subject to the faulty manufacturing process of the originals. Should have gone to SpecSavers. My bad, as they say in todays modern parlance.
I then asked about the extended warranty and the service bulletin issued in June. He wasn't totally sure but his understanding of the service bulletin was that the original condensers ( TBC-A011-M1 ) has had the warrant extended to 10 years ( 3 + 7 ) but the new condensers, because they have rectified the manufacturing faults, were not covered beyond the normal warranty. Seems a bit odd but I can kind of understand the thinking.
I was very impressed with the garage in question for their rapid call back, and what seemed like clear and honest answers.

Dave.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts