Honda Civic Forums banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bob,

Fobbed me off with a refill. I am going to give them a call next week. I wrote to Honda and they were next to useless.

Jason

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hello Jason,

Don't let them fob you off, did you pay less than anyone else did for the car, if not then why are you being treated differently to other folks ?

Talk to your local media, then do as previously advised, park it up in front of the Dealership with Placards all over it...

Bob.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 67 plate Civic, had a AC regas Summer 2020 and now behold the AC has stopped working. The Honda garage have confirmed today it’s the condenser and will cost me £600 to replace inc labour, oh yes and they will include a regas in that figure as no doubt it’s all leaked out by now. I loved my Civic, however, in the past 6 months (now out of warranty!) I’ve had to replace the display screen and battery. Having had the car from brand new I am rapidly falling out of love with it. Honda have so far refused to offer any goodwill.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hello Jules,

I guess it's up to you, they want you to walk away quietly, that's not the way to enforce YOUR RIGHTS, the AC units are a KNOWN problem, WORLDWIDE, so the warranty as such doesn't come into it, it was known to be faulty by Honda UK and Honda EVERYWHERE long before your unit failed. The warranty is one thing, expectation of serviceability and reasonable life expectancy is another.

If I were you I would make up some placards, park right in front of the Dealership, lift the bonnet up, stick a HUGE PLACARD under the bonnet, with something like
DON'T RELY ON
HONDA'S WARRANTY

Make a scene of it, and when they come out to ask you what you're up to, tell them you are waiting for the local paper and one of the National newspapers to turn up, it's EASY to get the local media to do a story, they are BEGGING for a story that they have to find EVERY DAY.

Don't walk away quietly, that's what they want you to do, make a fuss, they WILL BACK DOWN, do you think they want prospective buyers to see you marching up and down with a placard, or two, or three on the car. If you need ANY advice on how to go about it, send me a PM, if we can do that in here ?

Bob.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Jules,

I guess it's up to you, they want you to walk away quietly, that's not the way to enforce YOUR RIGHTS, the AC units are a KNOWN problem, WORLDWIDE, so the warranty as such doesn't come into it, it was known to be faulty by Honda UK and Honda EVERYWHERE long before your unit failed. The warranty is one thing, expectation of serviceability and reasonable life expectancy is another.

If I were you I would make up some placards, park right in front of the Dealership, lift the bonnet up, stick a HUGE PLACARD under the bonnet, with something like
DON'T RELY ON
HONDA'S WARRANTY

Make a scene of it, and when they come out to ask you what you're up to, tell them you are waiting for the local paper and one of the National newspapers to turn up, it's EASY to get the local media to do a story, they are BEGGING for a story that they have to find EVERY DAY.

Don't walk away quietly, that's what they want you to do, make a fuss, they WILL BACK DOWN, do you think they want prospective buyers to see you marching up and down with a placard, or two, or three on the car. If you need ANY advice on how to go about it, send me a PM, if we can do that in here ?

Bob.
Hello all,

After my re-gas last year, as in my post above it has failed again. Dealer has confirmed the condenser is faulty. I told them there is a quality issue with the part and it should be a warranty repair, the guy was quite tidy this time and said they has had a few failures. I also told them I was not happy last year with just re-gassing it without any real investigation to what was causing the leakage. I'm booked in for it to be changed under warranty on the 26th of April. I am going to attempt to reclaim the £65 re-gassing fee after it is fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,
Just in Honda Lancaster waiting for my air con to be fixed, it'll be interesting to see what the fault was...........

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hi Stevie, I hope you stand your ground, don't let then Dealer walk all over you, this is a know defect, by that I mean it's known WORLDWIDE !!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is this problem still not sorted? My AC has failed on 2018 Civic, still just within 3 year warranty. Dealer is currently “looking for leaks” using dye since this morning. Nothing seen so far, so “we are following procedure demanded by Honda” - “more dye added and leaving overnight”. I saw earlier posts about “road damage” claims, and wondered whether Honda have yet admitted any flaws with their AC units, or attempt to wriggle out of it. Any advice welcome!

Hi Stevie, I hope you stand your ground, don't let then Dealer walk all over you, this is a know defect, by that I mean it's known WORLDWIDE !!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
"Road damage" that's the song they sing to everyone, odd how it's exactly the same words, obviously they've been told to say that, odd how it's on Honda's that suffer from it.
Looks like they try folks on, if you swallow the shyte they come up with then all's well as far as they are concerned, but if they see it in your eyes that this bloke could be a problem customer they do the work under warranty, So its not down to them, it's down to us, one thing they don't like is BAD publicity, put THEM on the back foot, its easy to do, lesson one below...

All you need to do is tell them to sort it, permanently, or you will make a circus of it, print some placards up, park up, not on their premises, but close as you can get, open the bonnet, stick a HUGE placard in there, and then march around with another placard. Won't be long before they come to speak to you, tell them "this is just for starters, if you don't sort it to my satisfaction I'll have the local paper here an hour from now, so that THOUSANDS of folks get to know...

YOU CAN'T COUNT ON HONDA'S WARRANTY.

Don't let them hiss up your back, hiss up theirs...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Bob. Was all prepared for hassle, but dealer diagnosis said “compressor failure”, so they will send report to Honda for replacement parts - should be under warranty

·
Registered
16 Posts
This makes such bad reading.

My 2019 Civic's air con failed Tuesday. The car is 18 months old and 8000 miles.
Phoned Honda Customer Service and wish I'd beaten my head against a brick wall, it would have been less painful. The car is now booked in for next Friday to be looked at, and to be honest, the garage did sound quite helpful, in that they said unless the leak has been caused by stone damage it should be covered by the warranty. It scares me that a supposedly professional business would just regas a system that must have a leak ( otherwise where has the gas gone ) as these refrigerants are environmentally hazardous, and if Honda say they need recharging every year they should be investigated.
I'm so distrustful of these people I'm going to take a video using my bore scope of the condenser to prove there is no stone damage before I take the car in in case they try to phob me off.
We really shouldn't have to go through this with a supposedly reputable company.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Dave.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
If we were talking about Lada's we might expect parts NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE and we might expect to be given the run around from a Lada Dealer, but most of us bought Honda because of the reputation for Quality & Reliability, that they once had, that's why we paid a premium price for the cars. To add Insult to Injury when we ask why the AC isn't working ALL the Dealerships sing EXACTLY the same song "stone damage" talk about singing off the same sheet, but WHO wrote the sheet, WHO told the Dealers what to sing, would YOU expect that from Honda !!!

Have you EVER had a car that lost it's AC because of "stone damage" !!!
The problem is, most folks don't know how to kick back, so if Honda CON vince 95% of owners that "it's really YOUR fault, but, we can fix it for a GRAND or so" then they are LAUGHING, and I don't mean "all the way to the Bank" I mean LAUGHING AT US, but not me, I don't let anyone take the proverbial.

Odd how there's no argument in America about this problem that's known and admitted WORLDWIDE !!!

Get some placards printed up, Honda don't want any bad publicity, they'd prefer to throttle you quietly.

Bob.

·
Registered
6 Posts

My 2019 Civic's air con failed Tuesday. The car is 18 months old and 8000 miles.
Phoned Honda Customer Service and wish I'd beaten my head against a brick wall, it would have been less painful. The car is now booked in for next Friday to be looked at, and to be honest, the garage did sound quite helpful, in that they said unless the leak has been caused by stone damage it should be covered by the warranty. It scares me that a supposedly professional business would just regas a system that must have a leak ( otherwise where has the gas gone ) as these refrigerants are environmentally hazardous, and if Honda say they need recharging every year they should be investigated.
I'm so distrustful of these people I'm going to take a video using my bore scope of the condenser to prove there is no stone damage before I take the car in in case they try to phob me off.
We really shouldn't have to go through this with a supposedly reputable company.
Dave.
It is a worry, but better wait and see what the dealer says/does. My dealer said they “were following diagnostic procedure demanded by Honda” - dye test for a day - no leak found, so left overnight - still no leak found - so sent report to Honda to get replacement parts on warranty. My son’s BMW i3 AC failed recently, and they did exactly the same test. No leak, so guarantee respected (a second hand guarantee on a 7 yr old car). If they claim road damage, ask to see the “damaged” part maybe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ll ask the dealer after they replace the compressor if it is the same as the original one. If so, I think we’ll be ditching Honda sooner rather than later, since it is likely to fail again outside of warranty

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ll ask the dealer after they replace the compressor if it is the same as the original one. If so, I think we’ll be ditching Honda sooner rather than later, since it is likely to fail again outside of warranty
It is a worry, but better wait and see what the dealer says/does. My dealer said they “were following diagnostic procedure demanded by Honda” - dye test for a day - no leak found, so left overnight - still no leak found - so sent report to Honda to get replacement parts on warranty. My son’s BMW i3 AC failed recently, and they did exactly the same test. No leak, so guarantee respected (a second hand guarantee on a 7 yr old car). If they claim road damage, ask to see the “damaged” part maybe.

Dave.
I did ask them if there would be any guarantee on the replacement compressor. “No. It expires when the 3 yr warranty expires” (next month!). 10 yrs AC warranty now in US I think after court cases.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hello Geoff, you're right about the 10 year warranty on the AC's in Honda cars, if the Yanks get hissed off they hire a Lawyer, often through a Class Action suit, they know how to raise their voices.

Sadly most Brits just mutter under their breath as they cross the car park saying "that's the last time they'll see me in that place" after having a lousy meal, after telling the waitress "it was fine" and then tipping her, seems to be in the DNA of most folks. You don't see many / if any Class Action suits in the UK so we are left to fight alone, most folks don't have the bottle or the wit to know how to go about it, so the Manufacturers and the Dealerships walk all over folks, until along comes someone who takes them on. What's happened to us, we went toe to toe against Germany, and won, but we can't take on a Dealership these days, FFS.

I reckon the cause of the problem comes from the National Representatives of vehicle manufacturers {some are worse than others}. It's in their interest to keep warranty costs low to maintain a good relationship with the Manufacturers, so there's incentive to keep warranty costs low, to keep "mother" happy. The way they do this is when someone turns up at the Service Dept with a problem, like the AC, they get the song sheet out, sing the STONE DAMAGE song and tell you to hiss off.

Most folks think they can't take whoever it is on, it's not just Honda playing games like this, so they either pay up for work that should be done under warranty or the walk away SILENTLY, that's what they want you to do. My guess is over 95% of folks fall into this CHOKED OFF group, the other 5% play **** about it and do something about it that embarrasses the Dealership, sometimes getting National attention in the media, you just need to have a song sheet of your own, that or a much cart, or just park up near the Dealership, stick a placard until the raised bonnet, walk around for a while with a placard, and attract the Dealers attention, believe me it won't be long before they are phoning Honda UK or whoever it is. When they come out to you just tell them that if they don't sort it "the Media will be there in an hour from now." That gives them time to speak to the Honda UK. Do you think that we should be fobbed off when the same problem on the same cars in the US is treated differently ? there's only one reason for that, they walk over folks in the UK but when they tried to do that in the US they found it was worse than walking over broken glass.

Other than the muck cart option I suppose you could add an Extended Warranty off Honda...

The extended service contract can be added on at any time before a Honda vehicle hits the three-year or 36,000-mile mark (when the bumper-to-bumper warranty expires). Honda's warranty, like other extended warranties, primarily covers defects made at the factory.

Note that it specifically says "DEFECTS MADE AT THE FACTORY" sure as hell that covers the AC unit, a part known WORLDWIDE to be defective. If you don't feel up to a taking Honda UK on, then get the part "fixed" and then sell the car, if that's an affordable option for you, maybe selling it with an extended warranty attached.

As for me, I'll NEVER buy Honda again, they show little respect or regard for their customers, I'd buy a Lada before a Honda after my experience with Honda UK and their Dealershits.

At the end of the day what would my advice be, hire a muck spreader, and have fun with it...

Bob.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gutted to have read about this, but glad I did!
Just booked in to Cardiff Honda to get my Oct 2018 Civic's AC looked at. Bought the car from Cazoo, who were fantastic btw. Typically I noticed the AC went as my 90 day Cazoo warranty went.

I bought the car as I deal with Honda's central engineering (in Japan) with work and the way they work made me think this car would be built like a tank.

I just hope that Honda Cardiff have had to deal with this before and will accept the 'globally known fault' line if it comes down to it!

What should I be checking for under the bonnet before I take it there?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hello Lippy, I doubt there's anything you'd be able to see under the bonnet, let us know if their first retort is "stone damage," odd how the all Dealershits know the words to that song, singing little else, at least it might be in better voice in Wales 🤣

21 - 40 of 63 Posts