Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the air con on my 68 plate Civic has packed in, the dealer told me "it was probably damaged by a stone on the road".

I'm a retired guy, I do maybe 2,500 miles a year, and I've always been a careful driver and always looked after my cars.
After asking around and doing a bit of Googling it seems that there's a known problem with the AC on the Civics.

Anyone know if this problem occurs in the UK versions ?

Bob.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In the hope that this might help someone, the local Honda Dealership "changed their mind" when I told them the problem with the air con was a known fault, world wide,,,

Bob.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep I am currently experiencing the same problem. I bought my Honda Civic 2018 on May 2019, air con was not working when I purchased the car dealer eventually agreed to fix under warranty. But I am now experiencing the same problem again. My car is booked into Honda for the second time. We will see if it is fixed properly this time. I won't hold my breath:mad:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't let them fob you off, chances are they'll try to, but this AC problem is world wide, and as mentioned above is subject to a Class Action law suit in the UK, but what affected the cars there affected Civics GLOBALLY, Let me know how you get on. The Dealers will try to "refer" you to Honda UK, if you fall for that you'll get nowhere, the best thing to do is to INSIST that the Dealer sorts the KNOWN problem out under the warranty, if they drag their heels tell them you will take your concerns to the local newspaper, they are always looking for a story, just make it news worthy, turn up outside the dealership with a placard, that will shake them out of the tree, that's what I threatened them with, and believe me that's what I would have done...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't let them fob you off, chances are they'll try to, but this AC problem is world wide, and as mentioned above is subject to a Class Action law suit in the UK, but what affected the cars there affected Civics GLOBALLY, Let me know how you get on. The Dealers will try to "refer" you to Honda UK, if you fall for that you'll get nowhere, the best thing to do is to INSIST that the Dealer sorts the KNOWN problem out under the warranty, if they drag their heels tell them you will take your concerns to the local newspaper, they are always looking for a story, just make it news worthy, turn up outside the dealership with a placard, that will shake them out of the tree, that's what I threatened them with, and believe me that's what I would have done...
I have had the same issue on my 68 plate Civic. Dealer wouldn't budge and I was forced to pay for the system to be refilled. Told them I was unhappy with this but they still wouldn't budge. I have contacted Honda UK and they are giving the same stance that leakage of a small amount is normal and that period top ups will be required. I have a number of other vehicles and have never had to do this before. I am going to write to them again quoting the TSB information to see if this does anything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep I am currently experiencing the same problem. I bought my Honda Civic 2018 on May 2019, air con was not working when I purchased the car dealer eventually agreed to fix under warranty. But I am now experiencing the same problem again. My car is booked into Honda for the second time. We will see if it is fixed properly this time. I won't hold my breath:mad:
Was it sorted ???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bob , yes it was sorted but I'm not happy with having to pay every year or so to have it re-gassed. Clearly there is a problem that needs to be sorted. The car is fantastic as a daily driver apart from that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorted by doing what ??? did they put another unit in for you or do a temp seal ???
No way would I be putting up with that, they OBVIOUSLY have a defective component / unit, if it's leaking that leak shouldn't be attached to your wallet.
Add to that, what happens when you want to sell the car, it's value is obviously decreased, find out / get it in writing what the Dealership did...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bob, totally agree. They just refilled and told me to come back if it failed again. So I wrote a letter to the Honda President and their executive complaint team contacted me. They are saying this level of leakage is normal and that Honda recommend topping up every 12 months. No mention of it in the owner manual or service manual, which says a charge will be made for doing it if required. I am really annoyed as the car had only covered 12K miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What Honda are saying is BOLLOCKS, an insult the peoples intellect, then again it's something that {often, but not always} they can get away with in the UK, try it on with Americans and they regret it.
Take it to the Media, I'm sure it would find an ear with Watch Dog, if they tried to pull a fast on on me I'd be all over them like a wet suit, the problem is, it's ONLY the squeaky gates that get attention, it shouldn't be like that, but that's the truth of it. I'd be speaking to my mate Jed, the lad with the muck cart, telling him to load it with BULLSHIT for Honda, seeing as they deal in it...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Understood, would it help if I get a copy of the Warranty Work order that I had done ?
By the way, no one mentioned that I'd have to do frequent top ups, that's simply not on, the AirCon unit is obviously a defective, that alone devalues you car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Towball, not sure how you got on with the AC problem, but, I called into our local Dealership and asked for a copy of the work done, it was a FULL REPLACEMENT of the A/C unit, the unit alone was priced at £299 plus labour, but it was all done under Warranty. If you, OR ANYONE else needs a copy of that work order just let me know and I'll copy it in for you.
Bob.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Towball, not sure how you got on with the AC problem, but, I called into our local Dealership and asked for a copy of the work done, it was a FULL REPLACEMENT of the A/C unit, the unit alone was priced at £299 plus labour, but it was all done under Warranty. If you, OR ANYONE else needs a copy of that work order just let me know and I'll copy it in for you.
Bob.
Hi Bob,

That's really good of you. It would be great if you could do that for me. I'm writing again to Honda soon to relay my dissatisfaction with this issue.

The car is a star apart from this.

Jason

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just in case anyone else has a problem getting the work done under warranty, this might help, they can't "do it for some, and not for others".

Bob.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Bob,
That's really good of you. It would be great if you could do that for me. I'm writing again to Honda soon to relay my dissatisfaction with this issue.
Jason
Hello Jason, I don't fancy your chance with Honda UK, they'll choke you quietly, frustrate you at every turn, it's the Dealership you paid for the car, part of what you paid them was for the Warranty, they are responsible for that, when they do the work they get paid by Honda. Argue with Honda = waste your time, take the worksheet I sent you and ask why was the work on my car carried out under warranty and on what grounds they are refusing to do the SAME for you. If they still refuse, MAKE IT A MEDIA EVENT, make a noise ON THEIR DOORSTEP, they'll soon change their tune, but there's always Small Claims Court as a second string to your bow, how could you loose in there with a copy of my worksheet...

Bob.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmmm, I better check mine then, that's if I can remember where I left the car 6 months ago ;-)
Let me know how you get on, what did the do for you last time ? did they replace the full unit ?

Bob.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts