Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Can anyone tell me if its possible to shove a Turbo on a 1.5 lsi 16v lump. Or do I need to just invest in another engine i.e. a Vtech DOHC lump. But for now would I prefer to still update my original 1.5 lump if its possible.

Cheers

tattooking

·
Registered
770 Posts
yea its a 100% possible and you can make good power, anywhere up to 170whp on stock internals.

it's a tad bit more complicated then shoving it on though.

whats your budget?

·
Registered
340 Posts
as paul said, open the floodgates. its down to personal opinion and budget, but yeah it is certainly possible but you have to do it properly or it will last a few months, if that. A lot of people prefer to spend the money on a b16a2/b16b that have over 170bhp stock, and are much less likely to go wrong. Use the search, you willl find more info :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys

My budget would be as much as needs to be to make sure its done propperly as I dont want to brake my car as I love my little Civic lol.

Also could you tell me any sites that may have reconditioned turbo engines on there?

thanx again

tattooking

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thats cool mate. Thanx for the info you guys.
I think I will just keep what I have and if you guys have any ideas how I can improve the lump I have atm that would be great.

Cheers

tattooking

·
Registered
770 Posts
a turbo conversion isn't going to be very hard to do propperly, it's all in the reasearch.

you can do a "home made turbo" build cheap as chips, the main thing you need is a propper ECU remap.

i would personally buy a pre put together kit and add the things i need on top.

your looking at about £2500 to do it propperly all inc. but thats only gona get you a mere 200ish whp.

upgarde all the internals and sleeves and ive seen well over 500whp achived.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers mate I will do the homework on that.

Is there anything else I can do to get more performance from the engine?

Thanx

tattooking

·
Registered
340 Posts
not the best engine to get big power gains out of mate without boosting it, just the usual breathing enhancements, exhaust system, manifold etc would be about all you could do for a reasonable price. You will be able to get cams n stuff for it, but tbh if you are going to start spending hundreds you might as well get a b16 and drop that in!

·
Registered
340 Posts
i do agree with clinchy, it would be more fun and more original to boost the D, not many people do that as everybody takes the boring route and goes to B. yes i know it was me that suggested it lol but i was looking at it from an ease and budget side of things, i would love to boost mine but im not sure how much of it i could do myself and how much it would end up costing, whereas i can put a b16 in myself and theyre only a few hundred quid.

As for getting hold of a b16, look out on other civic forums, theyre always flying about, try tegiwaimports.com (they get really low milers = more expensive), and just keep an eye out on fleabay!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers mate

I will have to have a think about it all. I am no mechanic so would have to pay labour charges. So there is alot to think about lol. Dont get me wrong the lump in it at the moment is good enough for now but miss having a turbo under there.

At the moment I am more drawn to the b16 idea as its much cheaper than from scratch. But again its finding someone willing to do the job for a decent price. There is other things I wanna do to the car i.e. Paint job, new front and back bumper, halos etc etc 8-|

1 - 15 of 15 Posts